Author Topic: conductor not connecting  (Read 8802 times)

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: conductor not connecting
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, »
What version of the Pickit3 software are you using?

If you are using version 3, everything will flash OK and appear to be working including the lights on the magjack. However, you will not have any output to your lights and the conductor will constantly reboot.

Make sure that you are using version 1 of the Pickit3 standalone programming app found here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, by rmp2917 »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, »
i have not downloaded any new versions of the pickit3. it is the same version that was downloaded last year. no where in the pickit program do I see anything about what version it is. all of my smart string devices work just fine. the ED works just fine.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline zwiller

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, »
Tell us about the IP settings for the LAN.  Maybe try a static IP? 

What OS is PC? 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline egenoup

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, »
if you are using Antivirus software, you might want to try to temporarily disable it and test.  Also if you are running the Windows firewall, you might want to try to disable that as well.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, »
firewall is off. anit-virus is Microsoft security essentials(free)

OS is windows 7

how do I find the static ip address for the concuctor to enter it into my network? I remembered how to get into my router and I believe that is where the change needs to be done
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, »
Give it a shot.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  My win7 box doesn't need it but XP does.  Worth a shot. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, »
I just reread this thread and in reply 29 I see that it looks like you were connected successfully for a brief period of time because you got a "card error" message.  I also saw where Keith asked if you have tried a "cross-over cable".  I may have missed it but I didn't see a response on his question.  As I was rereading this your condition sounds very similar to my situation I originally had.  I was using a laptop with an Atheros adapter and sometimes the Conductor would connect and sometimes not (probable 90% it didn't).  I then tried a cross-over cable and bingo to now works every time with my laptop.

In my case I had tried the Conductor on another computer and it worked every time so I knew the Conductor was OK.

If you have another computer, have you tried the Conductor on it?

Denny

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, »
I was under the impression that I didn't need a cross over cable with my newer laptop with windows7? if I use a crossover cable and it don't need one, won't it fry my conductor? how do I locate the static ip for the conductor?
Florence, KY

Offline keitha43

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, »
Try setting your ip to 192.168.1.10 and you subnet to 255.255.255.0. You can leave your gateway blank. Only do this when connected directly to the conductor not through your regular network. This makes sure your computer has an ip address in case it get confused since it expects a dhcp server of some type to give it an address. Most computers don't have a problem but some do. I would still try the crossover cable also.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, »
A crossover cable will NOT hurt the conductor. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, »
Try setting your ip to 192.168.1.10 and you subnet to 255.255.255.0. You can leave your gateway blank. Only do this when connected directly to the conductor not through your regular network. This makes sure your computer has an ip address in case it get confused since it expects a dhcp server of some type to give it an address. Most computers don't have a problem but some do. I would still try the crossover cable also. The crossover cable will not hurt the conductor.

what about the preferred dns server and alternate dns server? when I go to add static ip, it opens up the dns server numbers?
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, »
I leave blank. 

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, »
i have not downloaded any new versions of the pickit3. it is the same version that was downloaded last year. no where in the pickit program do I see anything about what version it is. all of my smart string devices work just fine. the ED works just fine.

You can find the software version under help and about. It will show the version in the top right corner.

I was only asking about the software version since you said you started having issues after reflashing for the conductor.

The network connection and settings should not be any different for the conductor than they are for the ED. So, if the ED is working but the conductor is not, I would not think that it is a IP, firewall, or other network problem.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, »

You can find the software version under help and about. It will show the version in the top right corner.

I was only asking about the software version since you said you started having issues after reflashing for the conductor.

The network connection and settings should not be any different for the conductor than they are for the ED. So, if the ED is working but the conductor is not, I would not think that it is a IP, firewall, or other network problem.

ok, re flashed the ed to ED firmware and everything works as it should. re flash to conductor firmware(downloaded it again to make sure nothing was wrong with the original file i had) and boom, nothing. again. definitely a conductor isolated issue. I am going to start checking all my connections again. if i manually reboot the conductor, it will flash the conductor time and say waiting for about 3 seconds and then goes to not connected. the conductor clock is 2 hours behind my computer clock so i set a show accordingly and nothing happened.

is there anything different in the firmware between the ed and the conductor on connectivity? they should theoretically connect the same right?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, »
Remember that the ED is a one way communication where the Conductor is 2 way.  It is possible for a network interface to be able to send multicast packets but not be setup properly to receive them.  Firewalls are also good at sending data out but blocking the data coming back, especially UDP packets.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving