Author Topic: Odd EX/RX issue  (Read 1187 times)

Offline crazybob

Odd EX/RX issue
« on: November 16, 2013, »
I just finished building 5 TX/RX and 2 EX/RX units. All TX/RX units work great! I am, however, having a strange issue with the EX/RX units.
With he units mounted to my Express(s), Plugging in the Express shows the unit to be receiving a DMX signal, but the lights do not chase (I'm using xLights chase feature to test).
Resetting the Express will not help.
The only way to get the channels working, is to pull off the EX/RX while the Express is powered up and then put it back in place. The channels fire up and work great.
I can then push the reset button and the whole unit will reset, but I must go through this disconnect/connect EX/RX again to get the channels to start flashing.
I am running an Express version 5, with the latest firmware installed on all devices. Wireless jumper is removed.
I have tested using wired, and it fires up just fine.
Any suggestions?

Offline combustionmark

Re: Odd EX/RX issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, »
That is strange. Have you changed the wireless address? And only have 1 tx/rx in transmit? The only other thing I can think of, might be a problem with a cold solder joint, and the ex/rx is trying to transmitt.
Have Fun!

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, »
Oh and you are using the right firmware? The tx/rx and ex/rx use the same one. There is a ex/rx firmware that is for use with the bobcat tester.
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, »
Just today I had a problem with the wireless... turns out that my dmx data was not being sent by xlights because of a xlights test setup issue.

My point is: you should verify everything else is working as a troubleshooting step.  Remove the wireless from your setup by running a cable from the tx point to the rx point.  if it works, then replace with the wireless devices.

also, watch to see the green led in the TX unit is flashing to show activity.  the RX unit should also have the similar green led activity.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline crazybob

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, »
I just downloaded the firmware from the Wiki yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it's the correct one. I'll try re-flashing today just obe safe.
I know xLights is working, as I have a wired express next to these that I'm using to test also. I have also verified that these will work when wired.
It looks like I can plug them in and they will start working, so I was wrong in my first post. So it looks like the problem is just that the reset button on the express makes it stop working, though the EX/RX and the Express itself both still show they are receiving data.
Also, for reference, the reset button does NOT kill the lights when running wired.