Author Topic: Strange Aether Problem  (Read 3723 times)

Offline pyrodragon97

Strange Aether Problem
« on: November 16, 2013, »
I just put together my 4 new Aethers from the recent co-op and encountered a strange issue with my last one.  When I plug it in to my 12 V transformer, it blinks red at a very low level (maybe 5-10% of its normal output). When I flip the program switch, instead of a single white flash, I get a random strobe of all 4 colors. This happens whether or not the Addressing Program is running. If anyone has any thoughts as to what my issu may be I would greatly appreciate it. I have included pics of the front and back of the board.

Offline bassmants

Re: Strange Aether Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, »
The pics are hard to zoom in on and really see, but get it under a magnifying glass and check for bridges. The voltage regulators are particularly close and easy to bridge.  In pic 2 looks like the rectifier might be a bit melted.  I don't know if that would matter.  I had some weird issues with one of mine, but both were solder bridges I didn't see when I first did it.  With a really thorough exam under a mag glass I found and reflowed them.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, by bassmants »

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, »
I would re-flash the PIC after checking for solder bridges.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, »
+1
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline pyrodragon97

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, »
Im not finding any solder bridges after looking at the board with about a 15x lens. I reflashed the PIC and got the correct checksum. When I tried programming the start channel again, I got the same issue. After re-reading the PIC again, I got a different checksum.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, »
You will get a different checksum because programming it alters its firmware.  When you say 12V transformer, what exactly are you using?  Is it a landscaping transformer?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, »
One of mine did this (green on low) and it was a solder touching the screw holding the led on the heat sink. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline pyrodragon97

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, »
Yes, it is a 12v AC landscape transformer. I hooked up my other 3 Aethers to it and they are working fine. I will check if the screws are touching anything.

Offline pyrodragon97

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, »
Checked again, screws are not causing any problems

Offline arw01

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, »
Just a thought, swap the pic between one that is working and the one that is weird and at least you can eliminate one thing it could be completely.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, »
Check your wiring between the LED and the board and make sure that none are reversed or out of order.

Offline pyrodragon97

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, »
The LED is wired correctly. I did swap it with a blank PIC and programed that one. Still had the same problem. I think it may be that the rectifier is damaged? I have some spare parts but will have to check next week since i will be out of town.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, »
The issues do look like a low power situation and a bad rectifier could do that. 

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, »
It looks to me like the rectifier might have gotten hit by the soldering iron as the case looks melted on top.  Don't know if that would cause an issue or even if it is affecting the operation of the rectifier, but just something I noticed.

-Keith

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, »
WOW, that is a lot of heat.  They are tuff but not that tuff.  It may now be a half wave rectifier and that will not give the required power to operate the device.