Author Topic: Aether II for dummies  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ghethco

Aether II for dummies
« on: November 17, 2013, »
Got my Aether II parts from the Coop.  There are some really basic things that don't seem to be mentioned in the Wiki or elsewhere.  Maybe it is *because* they are so basic, but for those of us who haven't built such devices before, it would be nice to confirm.
  • What kind of light casing should we buy?  Will any one do?
  • This is a 4 channel DMX device, right?  So it can be daisy-chained with other DMX devices like LEs, etc ?
  • What is the fourth channel for?  It says "RGBW", W means white, right?  Why do you need that? 255,255,255 gives you white.
  • 12V AC transformers (35W per Aether II) - got that part from the Wiki

Offline keitha43

Re: Aether II for dummies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, »
Northern Tool has them. 500w worklights. Some have tried Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. I have only used Northern Tools. Yes 4 channel DMX. White gives you a truer white than combining 255,255,255.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, »
Usually any 500 watt light housing will work.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, »
I'm trying the HF 500 watt casing. $10.50 on sale right now, and if you pack your 20% off coupon, well you can do the math.  It's the whole programming part that will have me stumped in a couple more days.  I am hoping my le's from the co-op are pretty much plug and play except maybe for setting the start channel on the second one.  So that I can use whatever utility and program it.

So for the dummies part, I have a USB PIXELNET DONGLE.  am I going to have to crack the case and re-program for DMX in order to program the Aether IIs?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So for the dummies part, I have a USB PIXELNET DONGLE.  am I going to have to crack the case and re-program for DMX in order to program the Aether IIs?

Or use an active hub and the dmx out.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, »
I believe that it has been determined that using the active hubs DMX output for programming channel output doesn't always work, at least not for the DSC's or was it SSC's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, »
Rick's table shows what is compatible...

If you look at the bottom, Rick's Start Channel tool will work over all dongle types -- as long as the smart hub is not used.

...I wonder how DMX is obtained from a pixelnet dongle unless the active hub is used -- maybe the pixelnet-to-dmx kit?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ghethco

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, »
Thanks guys.  Very helpful as always.

Gary

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, »
It didn't appear that all of your questions were addressed...

• This is a 4 channel DMX device, right?  So it can be daisy-chained with other DMX devices like LEs, etc ?
  • What is the fourth channel for?  It says "RGBW", W means white, right?  Why do you need that? 255,255,255 gives you white.
  • 12V AC transformers (35W per Aether II) - got that part from the Wiki

Yes, a 4 channel DMX device that can be daisy-chained with other DMX devices from DLA or other vendors.

The 4th channel is W.  It is a stronger, purer white, and it is better than the mix you create from 255,255,255

Yes, 12V AC (not DC)  Use a landscape lighting transformer that you'd obtain from Home Depot or similar.  One unit can power multiple Aether2s as long as you do the power planning first.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline drlucas

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, »
....and take notice many home depot landscape transformers like to turn on at dusk! I have electrical tape over mine as a work around to this problem and the timer set to AUTO vs 4,6 or 8 hours.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, »
Mine have that function but they also have a just "on" function as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving