Author Topic: ssc waterproofing  (Read 862 times)

Offline dduck

ssc waterproofing
« on: November 18, 2013, »
I was using 3-core and 4-core pig-tails coming out the bottom of the PVC cap as shown here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I take it the SSC's will be vertically mounted.   Is the recommendation to hot-glue/RTV the bottom cap and the wires coming
out the bottom?    What sealing do you use with this type of connection?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: ssc waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, »
I don't seal mine at all.  You will want to get into them again.  If both wires come out the bottom as mounted then any water that might collect in there will drain out around the wires unless you sealed them in as well.  I had a couple of them flip over last year and did not notice so the wires were coming out the top.  when I took down the display I had maybe 1/4" of water pooled in the cap that did not have a hole in it.  I the water had got to high I figured it would drain out around the bottom cap since I do not seal mine.  I don't do extra sealing on anything and in 6 seasons I have not had any problem and I live where we get rain not snow.  YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

Re: ssc waterproofing
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, »
I would follow Jim's advice.  Unless you can perfectly seal them in a sealed enviornment with around 20% humidity, they need to breath a little or you wind up with condensation inside the tube which is not a good thing.  You may also need to get back inside for possible repairs or even just to change the setup and the wires need to be able to move to allow for that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving