Author Topic: Advantages of Etherdongle over USB-Dongle?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Advantages of Etherdongle over USB-Dongle?
« on: November 19, 2013, »
I'm a bit behind the times, running the USB dongle with a bunch of Expresses and SSR4s.  Next year I'm looking to move to PixelNet and implement some Smart Strings.  I know that the USB dongle can be flashed to support PixelNet, so technically I don't really see a need to switch, but I wanted to see what other advantages are seen by using the Etherdongle.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Advantages of Etherdongle over USB-Dongle?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, »
Etherdongles have  4 times the capacity as usb dongles.  4x512 dmx, or 4x4096 pixelnet.

The EtD can be placed anywhere you network can reach...  The usb needs to be close to the computer.

The EtD is also extensible, with a card it can be a conductor or a slave, for computerless playback.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, »
Ok, so something to consider.

I'll have to watch for a co-op maybe.

Right now though, I'm no where near 512 DMZ, so USB isn't a problem, but I like the potential.

My neighbors on the other hand may not...
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, »
There was a direct comparison video with a massive matrix that someone made when the first EtD's were being cooped.  The EtD was much smoother.  Not sure if that was a limitation of the pic in the dongle or if it was something else causing it and has since been fixed. 

To add to Steven's great points.  Personally I would go EtD and conductor since the setup is pretty easy to configure (at least to me) and once you get past the 4096 limitation of the usb dongle (which can happen pretty quickly with smart strings) you will have to have multiple usb dongles which is just extra wiring/equipment to configure and keep track of.  (which com port is which etc) One drawback of the EtD is that your computer network may be very laggy while a show is playing, but that can be easily overcome with either a secondary network (yes more equipment again), switching to a conductor/slave setup which doesn't send massive amounts of broadcast data across your router/switches, or just plugging the EtD directly into the computer (assuming it is supported by your computers network port or you may add a network card, I guess this should be checked also for your switch/router if you have one of those in line like the previous examples).  Curiously, my router will broadcast the data, but not allow control of the conductor.  It connects, but you can't play the shows or sync time for some reason.  So I have just been plugging in directly and using the wireless connection to move files etc on that machine.  Worked great so far...  I have one computer that would not work when directly connected (home built computer) and a dell that works flawlessly.

My neighbors have actually been mostly positive about the pixels.  I switched last year to 100 percent rgb and don't see myself ever going back.  The near limitless possibilities of the pixels is just amazing once you get used to working with the large channel counts.  (Thank you LSP!)   And most people (around here anyway) have never seen the pixels used in a Christmas display so they think I'm a freaking genius.  >:D  I did stay at a holiday inn once I guess.  I point them all this way actually!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, »
There is still value in having a USB dongle.  I mostly use mine on my workbench for testing things.  I can also take it into the yard with a netbook and connect to DMX devices and test or even use a wireless DMX transmitter (running off 4 AA batteries) to test wireless stuff in the yard.  With some planning it can also be a backup device to run the first 4096 channels should your ETD stop functioning for some reason.  I actually have two USB dongle, one flashed for DMX and one flashed for pixelnet.  I might not buy them today, but I had them before the ETD was invented and I keep them because they still are useful.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, »
I believe the lynx light curves can only be programmed via the USB DMX dongle ...I haven't done that but it's my understanding.   It's also nice becAuse you cAn run a DMX universe with it without a ss hub.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, »
Light curves are programmed on the LE, not on the dongle. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, »

He said via not on.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, »
There is still value in having a USB dongle.  I mostly use mine on my workbench for testing things.  I can also take it into the yard with a netbook and connect to DMX devices and test or even use a wireless DMX transmitter (running off 4 AA batteries) to test wireless stuff in the yard.  With some planning it can also be a backup device to run the first 4096 channels should your ETD stop functioning for some reason.  I actually have two USB dongle, one flashed for DMX and one flashed for pixelnet.  I might not buy them today, but I had them before the ETD was invented and I keep them because they still are useful.

+1

I have both and will continue to use both. For the same reasons Jim has posted.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, »

He said via not on.

LOL, you are correct, I stand corrected.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving