Author Topic: SSc v4 "do I understand this right?"  (Read 3199 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: SSc v4 "do I understand this right?"
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, »
Just be careful because if you happen to have a faulty SSC and you plug it into every port on your SS HUB ... you may have just blown every fuse on the hub.  Probably not, but I always use the first good port on the hub.  One year I had a shorted SSC and I blew the first port fuse before I stopped and tried another SSC (one I knew was working on another hub) on the first port and then it didn't work.  THen I tried the second port and realized my faulty SSC was blowing the fuse on any port I put it on.  So I ended up reworking that SSC and that particular hub has two blown ports on it which I will fix some rainy day.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, »
Or in my case I have a "special" port #4 that I blew and now will use that for passive hub connections with their own 12v power supply and don't have to worry about anything else besides the passive now.

Alan

Offline caretaker

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, »
For those of you that may have missed it a "tester" was designed using a 470 ohm resistor and a LED with a RJ45 plug to test to see if you have power on a SS hub port.  Steve Case then updated the idea in this post: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline arw01

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, »
oh sure, AFTER I put in the mouser order..  But know I know what i can do with all these pigtail ends!

Thanks for the link.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, »
here is a simple tester I made a while ago

I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)