Author Topic: In preparation of building it  (Read 2272 times)

Offline fyb2000

In preparation of building it
« on: November 19, 2013, »
and hopefully being successful, where does one find the utility to program the strings for it? I went on the wiki, didn't find a link with the Zeus(es) in the equipment page, and the utility with the smart strings (v1->v4) is the same than I used before.
I might have missed it there, or a message giving the link to it.
Thanks,
Francois

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: In preparation of building it
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, »
I am sure that it will be posted shortly as some of the Zeus have been shipped.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, »
that is why I ask.Mine should be here tomorrow and built tomorrow night.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, »
I believe that it has not been posted because if it is used for other devices such as SSC v4, there will be issues. I am sure that this will be addressed, but it is up to RJ. Rest assured your Zeus will be functional!

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, »
I have no doubt it will be functional, that isn't the question. For it to be functional, the strings need to be programmed. I am trying to figure out when that will be, as the hardware is showing up and displays will start to go up in the next few days.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, »
Rick will be posting the Utility shortly. Please remember that it is not for use on the SSC's until we post the new firmware for them. It is only for the Zeus at this time. The firmware on the SSC's must be updated to use the new color orders.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, »
 <res.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, »
Thanks RJ,
We will make sure to keep this version and the ssc version well labelled and away from each other.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, by fyb2000 »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rick will be posting the Utility shortly. Please remember that it is not for use on the SSC's until we post the new firmware for them. It is only for the Zeus at this time. The firmware on the SSC's must be updated to use the new color orders.

RJ
I expect there will be discussion later about the problems of using the new utility with old firmware.  I would hope that it is non-destructive and a new packet would be ignored by old firmware. 

While I'm doing some "hoping", I wonder if one utility might eventually exist for old and new firmware alike -- maybe the new utility sends both varieties of config packet...?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, »
Sweet! Just got confirmation threw tracking that mine is sitting at the house waiting for me to get off work so I can build them! You guys rock!
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, »
Just got my package. All looks great and thank you for handling this COOP.

Sent from my iPhone using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I expect there will be discussion later about the problems of using the new utility with old firmware.  I would hope that it is non-destructive and a new packet would be ignored by old firmware. 

While I'm doing some "hoping", I wonder if one utility might eventually exist for old and new firmware alike -- maybe the new utility sends both varieties of config packet...?

From the programming side, that would not be possible.  In order for this to work, the utility would need to be able to query the device to determine what it is to send the proper code and SSC's and DSC's are one way devices.  Otherwise it's a matter of last in wins.  I would suspect that you could rewrite the firmware to look for an Identification packet and only accept the configuration packet that belongs to it but that would be a whole lot of work for little gain.  Keeping it simple means to have as few variables as possible and having people using the same equipment with many different versions of the firmware just adds unneeded variables.  I would bet that using this utility on SSC's with the old firmware would possibly disable the device or at best lead to unexpected behavior.

I would recommend that the install instructions for this utility have it placed in either a completely different directory or give the exe a different name so that both versions of the utility can be used on the same machine.  This will be required by many until the new firmware for ALL of the SSC's has been released and everyone has the time to update their equipment.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, »
You can have both utilities on your computer.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying