Author Topic: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility  (Read 18557 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Zeus version of the Smart String Utility
« on: November 21, 2013, »
Hi Folks,

My apologizes for the delay. Life got in the way and I was unable to release the software earlier.

It is now in the wiki equipment page under Zeus 16

Just unzip the file and run the program.
Changes since the previous version:
Device to Setup, Select Zeus (not SSC)
String #, All does all of the controllers on the Zeus at one time, You can select each one to customize as needed. Note ALL: increments the start channel base on the other options selected.
Color order is now in RGB (Red Green Blue) format selection and not type of nodes. This was done to support different orders and since our friends in China like to keep changing them.

The rest of the options are the same.

Let us know how it goes.
Yes I know the version number is not updated. I have no control over that part.

Note: There is not an installer with this version.
You must have a previous version installed and then you can use the exe file in the wiki. So don't uninstall the previous version. This also allows you to use the previous version for your SSC's (until the firmware is updated to support the color orders) or you can select the Zeus version. You don't want the exe files in the same folder.

Rick R.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, »
thanks for all your hard work Rick
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, »
zues is built got the utility running. first few attempts I programmed in "all" only one string would light up. when I went in and did individual. they would light accordingly. well I noticed that I didn't change the rgb order when the utility opens it defaults to rgb but the order on the pcb is rbg? well now I am getting nothing when trying to transmit? did not having the correct order selected screw something up? I added a 5th test string because I had 4 before onto a different string number in case I did do something to the pics and it is not working either. they were working in the default setting of rgb but not now

UPDATE

after rebooting everything, waiting a few minutes to try anything. leaving the rgb order as is from default rgb being my string type selection, I was able to get it to transmit again programming ALL strings, start channel 4097, 50 nodes per string, ed as my dongle, it will transmit to one channel. shouldn't it transmit to all channels at the same time?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, »
First of all, 4097 is an INVALID starting address.  A pixelnet universe only has 4096 addresses so proframming the Zeus to start at 4097 is simply not possible.  If you are trying to start the Zeus at the beginning of universe 2, then set the starting address to 1.  Yea, that's right, set it to 1.  Remember that the sequencing software channels will not always be the same as the hardware channels.  The sequencing software will make the translation of sequence channel 4097 to hardware channel 1 of PixelNet universe 2.  The utility should have caught this but either way, make sure that none of the channels exceed 4096 or the Zeus will NOT be able to display them.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, »
changed it and nothing now

ED
ZUES
strings ALL
start channel 1
individual pixels
50 nodes per string
rgb

that is how I have it set up and now it's not transmitting anything. I rebooted everything and no response on any of the 5 strings I have connected (string 1, string 5, string 8, string 12, string 16)
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, »
What channel numbers are you using on your sequence?  I would suspect that when using the utility that you have the Zeus universe set to universe 1 for configuration.  If you are using your sequence software to test at channels exceeding 4096, make sure that you move the universe jumpers back to universe 2.   If you set your configuration with the Universe jumpers set to universe 2, then the device may never see it and if you are testing at channels above 4096, the software will be sending that data on the proper universe which will NOT be on universe 1 with channel counts exceeding the first universe capabilities.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, »
I did have it on universe 2 on the zues, switched to universe 1, rebooted, and nothing. tested ED with the lights I already have up and it is working fine. program pins are terminated
Florence, KY

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, »
For some reason I was thinking you had to program on universe one and then move to other universes to use.

So if you wanted 4097 you would program on universe 1 channel 1 and the switch the jumper to universe 2 to use.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, »
For some reason I was thinking you had to program on universe one and then move to other universes to use.

So if you wanted 4097 you would program on universe 1 channel 1 and the switch the jumper to universe 2 to use.

you are right. I was doing it wrong. i'm still not getting anything out of it though. I have another one to build so when I am done with that I will test it and trouble shoot from there
Florence, KY

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, »
Nothing if you just try one string channel one type of setup?  Power cycle it and give all the defaults a try on one string.  Can you try taking the first pic out and put one in from the other build.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, »
swapped pics, power cycled ED and zues, launched utility.

ED
ZUES
channels 2
individual nodes
# of nodes 35 for test
rgb

and nothing.
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, »
swapped st485 chip and still the same results
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, »
just to be clear. set up just like ssc on node wiring correct? red + green -  blue data   tried another set of nodes and still no dice
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, »
That could be an issue with your sequencing software setup.  Set the Zeus to universe 1 and set the starting address to 1, set the jumper in program mode, power it up and give ita few seconds and then press the send button on the config utility.  I was not involved in the design of the Zeus but it appears that in order for you to configure it, you need to give it a few seconds to configure itself so each processor knows which one it is.  Hopefully you will see the strings start flashing in a few seconds.  After that, power the Zeus down and move the jumper into the run (single pin) mode and power it back up.  Then, without changing anything (leave it on universe 1) run a test using channel 1 to whatever and see if the Zeus responds.  If not, then you have some issus that need further exploration.  If it does, then move the jumpers to universe 2 and run you test again using the higher channels.  If it doesn't work there, then your issue is more likely in the sequncing sofware configuration.  You could also try another cat5 cable between the zeus and the dongle.

Of course, make sure that you are NOT connecting the zeus to one of the hub outputs other than the PixelNet output and that you are using an ETD and not the USB dongle which is only capable of 1 Pixelnet universe.  For this testing, the zeus should be directly connected to the dongle output and make sure that you are NOT using a crossover cable here.  It will not hurt the unit but it won't work either.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, »
no sequence software being used just yet. I am just trying to get the board programmed. I have seen it flash the light today. when I did program all, it would flash one string. I could go in and do one string at a time and it would flash each one. now it won't do anything. test on ed works the lights just fine. switch cat5 cables
Florence, KY