Author Topic: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility  (Read 18550 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No I made it simple and bullet proof. the pcb is coded to tell each pic which one they are. if you look at some of the pins on the pcb you will see four pins on each pic are binary encoded to 0 - 15 so the pic always knows which one it is. The firmware reads this on boot and goes from there. You can not change this in software.

RJ

I don't have one yet so I was unable to look at the board but that is very cool.  It appears that the configuration utility allowed him to set the start address to one above the limits of a PixelNet universe.  Even though I doubt it, could doing that corrupt the firmware or configuration area in memory in some way?  I am just reaching here because these issues just don't seem to make sense.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, »
I was able to simulate his problem, which is now my problem also. 
Here is my set up:
Window 8 > Ethernet Dongle>Zeus Pixelnet In>Zeus Pixelnet Out>Active Hub>DMX out>LE and SSCs for Smartstring Matrix. I also have a Flex strip on Zeus String 1.
Here is what I found.
During the whole process I never had xLights and the Zeus SS Utility open at the same time. I also had the jumper on for terminate.

1.  I was able to program the Zeus to channel 1, using String 1 connections.
2.  I was able to program every version of color selection using the Zeus SmartString Utility.  Note: Though I have 120 nodes I was choosing 84 nodes to eliminate the warning of max nodes.
3.  I could run the all channel test in xLights and was able to test every setting in xLights including individual channels. No problem.
4. Then it happened.  That moment you think you are good to go.  I decided to try changing the color back to my operating color for the flex strip. I closed xLights and opened the Zeus SS utility and started to change back to RGB.  I forgot one little mark and that was to change the selector on the utility to Zeus and not SSC.  Since that point I can not get the Zeus to work at all.
5. I moved back to xLights to see if I lost my previous settings (they were gone or not reacting to xLights)
6. What is interesting is my Active Hub, Matrix and LE are still responding to my test signals from xLights.
7. My Zeus is not responding and the Terminate jumper does not effect my Pixelnet Out at all.
8. I tried a single string program and it does not work now also. I also removed and installed the Zeus Utility again and can not get the Zeus to take a channel configuration.

I hope this helps us figure out what is going on.  I did notice the Warning in the Wiki stating to not use the Zeus SS Utility to program SSC.  Could it be that when I forgot to select the Zeus button in the utility it stayed in the default selection of SSC and that sent the wrong information to the Zeus and now it is acting like it will never work?  Let me know what you all think and I can try anything and respond back.

One other tidbit of information though on the higher end of trouble shooting.  The voltage from the Signal to the Gnd (-) on some of the String connector are 3.32vdc and others are .5vdc.  not sure if this is an issue or not.  All string points from + to - have 12vdc
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, by onesmoothhead »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, »
Based on what you have written I would want to reflash the zeus.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, »
I thought about pushing the firmware to the PICs. I have a 24 pin socket for my P3, but I am not sure the Firmware is available.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, by onesmoothhead »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, »
If you have a processor that has not been corrupted, you can read the firmware from it and save it to disk.  then you can reload it onto one of the corrupt processors and see what happens.

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, »
I will try that next. I will let you know next.

Sent from my iPhone using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, »
I am guessing but I only have one Zeus and I sent start channels to all. Not sure if they are all corrupted. 

Sent from my iPhone using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, »
I would bet that they are if you also changed the color order on all of them.  I would look into it but I don't have mine yet.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, »
We can get the firmware posted, it just has not been since the chips came pre programmed and we hoped no one would have a need to do it. Thats why we took so long on the beta making sure the system worked well as the firmware was. I need to look at the firmware as I do not think it should be possible to mess it up programming to where it will not reprogram. when the setup jumper is on it uses a default setup and ignores the config information that is programmed in. Might be something I am not thinking of but for the moment I would say everyone be careful about using the correct setting to program the Zeus until we figure this issue out.

Maybe the guys in the beta never made this issue. But I do remember someone having an issue that was never worked out and we were never able to duplicate. He also could not get it to repeat and I think it required him to flash his pic. So maybe there is an issue with this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, »
No worries RJ.  As always this is great stuff and fun. We are DIY and we have been through many of these similar situations.  I think everyone will be fine as long as they remember to click Zeus in the (Device to Setup) area. It is still about having a hobby that not only makes me happy, but puts smiles on other peoples faces. I am having a blast!

Kevin

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, »
ok, so I come home from work, made myself 2 knew cat5 jumpers so that I know my cables were good. the others were factory made but that don't mean they were bad. I have a 1000' cat5 so I just made 2 knew ones to eliminate the cables.  waited for about a minute, launched utility and nothing.  as far as my computer communicating with the ED, the orange light on the ED flickers in correspondence with the transmit letters on the utility, the green light stays solid threw this process. I followed the assembly manual to a T. the 2nd build I did last night flashed all 3 strings that I had connected when I programmed, but when I went into vixen, no response. profile is set to 12,288 channels with ED as dongle. the existing pixels in my sequence work just fine.

so I had friend show up during writing this post and forgot that I had the utility set on program. out of the blue, one of the strings started flashing.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, »
  I think everyone will be fine as long as they remember to click Zeus in the (Device to Setup) area.

Kevin

on my second build, after going threw all the issues with the first build.  I double triple quadruple checked everything to make sure it was right, before I hit the transmit button. AND IT WORKED! I was very happy, until I tried it in vixen and it wouldn't work. so I tried to program just one string at a time and nothing. just that fast. no cables were changed, the only thing I did was power down so I could switch the program pin. repower to run vixen, nothing. power down, put program cap back to terminate, and nothing.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, »
I only have one Zeus and never got the chance to try Vixen.  They worked perfect in XLights and in all RGB configurations. Once we get the firmware I will test more and confirm if it will fix it. We will understand soon, no worries.

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, »
The firmware is now in the wiki.

Since the Zeus family doesn't include a ICSP connector you must use an adaptor board.

Two options are the j1.sys board and I put in the wiki the wire jumper settings that the beta team use. Second option is to use the Red Neck board in the wiki. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope it helps.

Thanks to RJ and the beta guys for the info. I am just the messenger.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, »
Thank you everyone for the help. I have the J1 and will make the adjustments.
I will let you know in the morning.

Kevin