Author Topic: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility  (Read 18549 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Zeus version of the Smart String Utility
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2013, »
as I interpret the chart and your picture, pic pin 1,14,13 are good...
but pic 3 is not going icsp 4 as it should -- instead you have 4 going to 4.   
ALSO, instead of pic 2 going to icsp 5, you have 5 going to 5.

Refer to the chart:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, »
as I interpret the chart and your picture, pic pin 1,14,13 are good...
but pic 3 is not going icsp 4 as it should -- instead you have 4 going to 4.   
ALSO, instead of pic 2 going to icsp 5, you have 5 going to 5.

Refer to the chart:

thanks steve, i haven't checked in the wiki this evening. i was just going by the diagram in the post rick sent me but i will switch the wires around and see where i go! lol
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2013, »
I've updated the wiki -- both the J1Sys table with (4) options!! :) 
...and also the page for the redneck.

I see your issue (duane)...  you built the redneck as described, but the instructions were for the 24FJ32GA002 PIC, not the one used with Zeus, PIC24F04KA200.  I've updated the redneck page with the additional table.

Please review.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2013, »
i must say. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! and if i left anyone out. THANK YOU TOO!  all good now. everything responding in vixen as it should. . i only flashed one zues and tested the one. i am assuming my second one is the same issue so i will find out in the morning before i go out in forecasted 25 degree weather with wind chills in the teens to hook it all up. such is life. zues conquered, i'll be back in the conductor section before long. lol

CANT' SAY THANKS ENOUGH TO ALL THE HARD WORK WE ALL PUT INTO THIS HOBBY TO MAKE IT EASIER AND SMOOTHER FOR THE NEXT GUY.
Florence, KY

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2013, »
great news!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2013, »
great news!!

yes sir. now time to get some sleep and get back at it tomorrow.
Florence, KY

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2013, »
Great to hear!

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2013, »
Great news.   Thanks to everyone working this as. I haven't tried programming my Zeus boards yet but this thread has given me a lot of information that should be invaluable.   Can someone explain when the terminate should be set?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2013, »
Great news.   Thanks to everyone working this as. I haven't tried programming my Zeus boards yet but this thread has given me a lot of information that should be invaluable.   Can someone explain when the terminate should be set?
[/quo

the terminate should be set when your not using the pixelnet out put. so if your zues is solo, then terminate, just like on the express. so with your mega tree, one zues would be open while you terminate the other.
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2013, »
second zues works as it should. thanks to everyone whom made it possible. the wife says thanks too! lol
Florence, KY

Offline bassmants

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2013, »
Congrats Duane.  Glad you got it figured it out, just sorry you had to be the guinea pig.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2013, »
So am I correct in my understanding  that you always program channels with a starting value between 1 and 4096 regardless of the pixelnet universe?   I can't believe I didn't know this already but probably because I had under 4096 (1 pixelnet universe) in prior years it didn't really matter.

So for example, if I want to start a display item at pn ch#4097 ... This would be set as starting channel 1 and I just jumper the Zeus (or ssh) to pn univ#2 ... Which in the software can be referred to s pixelnet channel 4097.

Also,  do you need to have the jumper set to pn univ#1 when running the ss utility?

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2013, »
So am I correct in my understanding  that you always program channels with a starting value between 1 and 4096 regardless of the pixelnet universe?   I can't believe I didn't know this already but probably because I had under 4096 (1 pixelnet universe) in prior years it didn't really matter.
You said program channels, but you are referring to hardward addressing.  To keep them separate in my mind I try to always talk about hardware as addressing and software as channels.  Hardware addressing does not equal software channels once you get into more than one universe.  a similar terminology issue comes up all the time when folks talk about programming the pic.  I alway say flash the pic for loading firmware and programming when I am talking about configuring the firmware.  It is hard to keep it all straight when we use the same terminology for different things.

So for example, if I want to start a display item at pn ch#4097 ... This would be set as starting channel 1 and I just jumper the Zeus (or ssh) to pn univ#2 ... Which in the software can be referred to s pixelnet channel 4097.

Also,  do you need to have the jumper set to pn univ#1 when running the ss utility?
I always have, but do not know if that is required.  It helps that I have a backup active hub that stays on my workbench and I always leave that one at univ 1.  I use a passive hub for universe 2 (and I have a backup for that as well and set to univ 2)
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2013, »
Thanks, I agree we need to use the terms you suggested to keep everything clear.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2013, »

In the DMX world, devices have channel assignments from 1-512, multiple DMX universes can coexist, often called "networks".

Similarly in the Pixelnet world, the devices have channel assignment from 1-4096, and again multiple universes can coexist.

The devices know nothing about the other universes, only their place within their current universe.

If your dongle is sending packets over universe 2, the hub is assigned to #2 using the jumpers, then the SSCs will pick up the packets -- they won't know they are on universe 2... the hub knows that by the selection of the 2nd pair.