Author Topic: where to start trouble shooting  (Read 1665 times)

Offline lashbyrn

where to start trouble shooting
« on: November 21, 2013, »
Where do you start trouble shooting when nothing is working.  I think I can rule out my dongle.  I was getting DMX via my SSHub, I am not getting any pixelnet now.   I ran 13 sequences last night.  all looked well.  I then ran the SS utility on a non working SSC.  I cant get anything back now on any of the previously working controllers.    I thought I could run the utility with SSC's connected if all the jumpers were in a "1 pin only: position.  The only SSC with a jumper across both pins was the one that I was checking.  I have now dc'd everything and am looking at every previously working controller.  When I use the utility, I get nothing on anything other than a short node flash when I connect the cat5 cable to the SSC.  I wish there was a test like the Lynx had to verify that at least the unit is alive.  At this point I don't know if my SSHub pixelnet data is being output or if my SSc's pixelnet data reception is jacked.  Or if its..............................................       

Offline lashbyrn

Re: where to start trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, »
 <md..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, by lashbyrn »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, »
I would reflash the firmware on the ssc and try to set the start channel again. I never plug in more than 1 string while flashing. Remember to not use the Zeus flashing utility as the firmware to allow it to be compatible with ssc's is not released yet.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, »
before you use the utility on more I would try to run a test with xLights tester. Set it to all channels and click the box for output to lights and turn the background up and see if you get anything out of your ssc with your lights. I have also had to restart my computer when the utility has failed on me.  Again, when It fails I instantly start testing with xLights first just to make sure the dongle and hub are working. 

Kevin

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, »
I have successfully programmed a ssc with others attached as you describe and had no issues. 

I have a hunch.  Occasionally when programming I would do something wrong like run 2 blinky things at once and the utility would crash.  This would cause a HANGING PROCESS and jam the com port.  Go into task manager and look for the process for the utility and if it is running end it. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where do you start trouble shooting when nothing is working.  I think I can rule out my dongle.  I was getting DMX via my SSHub, I am not getting any pixelnet now.   I ran 13 sequences last night.  all looked well.  I then ran the SS utility on a non working SSC.  I cant get anything back now on any of the previously working controllers.    I thought I could run the utility with SSC's connected if all the jumpers were in a "1 pin only: position.  The only SSC with a jumper across both pins was the one that I was checking.  I have now dc'd everything and am looking at every previously working controller.  When I use the utility, I get nothing on anything other than a short node flash when I connect the cat5 cable to the SSC.  I wish there was a test like the Lynx had to verify that at least the unit is alive.  At this point I don't know if my SSHub pixelnet data is being output or if my SSc's pixelnet data reception is jacked.  Or if its..............................................       

I am having very similar issues. I can get some v4 SSC to program and flash. I can even get them to blink correctly in a test sequence. Then I try to reprogram them to the correct start channel and string length for my actual use and "NOTHING" Just the describe quick blink (sometimes) when plugging in the cat5 cable
I haven't moved anything. Cat5 plugs are in the same spot on my ETD, power is the same, laptop is the same. I have tried reflashing the pic with the firmware, then programming the channel, but still get nothing.
Could it be my ETD firmware? I haven't touched it since last year(when everything was working).

Anyway. I feel your pain

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, »
I recall v4 likes to be power cycled/unplugged at the end stage of programming but I do it to all things smart string.   

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, »
Just take some solace in the fact that all of us have gone thru issues of some kind playing with this stuff.  It is part frustration and then joy.  It's a great learning process that sometimes seem to be going in the wrong direction  We all feel your pain.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mitch09

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, »
I recall v4 likes to be power cycled/unplugged at the end stage of programming but I do it to all things smart string.   
Do you mean, while it is flashing to just unplug the cat5 first? This is what I always do before changing the jumper.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, »
Just take some solace in the fact that all of us have gone thru issues of some kind playing with this stuff.  It is part frustration and then joy.  It's a great learning process that sometimes seem to be going in the wrong direction  We all feel your pain.

+1

The way I look at it is "high risk = high reward".  I nearly gave up a few times last year.  It WILL get easier. 

Mitch, you got it.   

You guys aren't trying to program v1,v2, v3 SSCs with the v4 utility, are ya?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, by zwiller »

Offline mitch09

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, »

+1

The way I look at it is "high risk = high reward".  I nearly gave up a few times last year.  It WILL get easier. 

Mitch, you got it.   

You guys aren't trying to program v1,v2, v3 SSCs with the v4 utility, are ya?
I am using what I believe is the v4 utility. I downloaded it from the wiki under the v4. But I am having the same issues with my v1 converted to v3 ssc and the older utility. Which makes me wonder if it is my ETD. Since I have also tried switching active hubs, passive hubs 16 & 4 port. Then again, I have tried flashing my USB dongle with pixelnet and using it to no avail.