Author Topic: Corrosion X and variants  (Read 2121 times)

Offline zwiller

Corrosion X and variants
« on: November 22, 2013, »
I had some minor issues with moisture and the cat5 connectors and would like to use something to prevent issues.  I am not deterred enough to change connectors.  I am a bit concerned that if I use the stuff it will make things worse.  Stupid questions.  Do I connect them THEN spray.  Spray both before and immediately connect.  Am I over thinking it?  Any advice welcome.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

Re: Corrosion X and variants
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, »
Either way should work just fine.  I would make sure that the connectors are clean and dry, plug in the connectors, then  spray them.  But unless the can says different, you can also spray and connect as well.  Unless the spray is a sealent, it should get out of the way of he connection points but a sealant would not.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, »
Thanks.  Might need to clean them up a bit first.  Not sure about that part yet.  THink I have a small brass brush around...

Anyway, here's what I getting since it's on the shelf.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I think it is generic Corrosion X branded by West Marine. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, »
don't brush CAT5 connections. There is a gold plating per specification. If you brush that off, it will down hill fast.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks.  Might need to clean them up a bit first.  Not sure about that part yet.  THink I have a small brass brush around...

Anyway, here's what I getting since it's on the shelf.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I think it is generic Corrosion X branded by West Marine.

Yea, that one is along the lines of WD40 and be sprayed either before or after the connection is made.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, »
don't brush CAT5 connections. There is a gold plating per specification. If you brush that off, it will down hill fast.

So if they are corroded already, they are shot?  I though I could expose some new copper and preserve it with the magic spray. 

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, »
maybe a nylon bristle brush, I don't recall from chemistry which is harder brass or gold.  Personally I have never had any issue in 30 years brushing the gold off of contacts or wires.  They tend to oxidize and a physical cleaning does the job.  All of my pigtails that have been outside for just testing have corroded here, and I am 300 miles from salt water.

I'm cleaning mine off with a PICK or screwdriver and the real corrosion X should arrive from amazon today and will be sprayed in all of them going forward.  Maybe this spring I will be changing some wiring pigtails on both cat 5 and my SSC's.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, »

So if they are corroded already, they are shot?  I though I could expose some new copper and preserve it with the magic spray.

If you are getting corrosion, then the gold has already been compromised if it ever existed to begin with.  I would brush them lightly with a spray of contact cleaner and then connect and spray them with your corrosion proofing and you should be good to go.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, »
The core problem you may be seeing is because this is a Smart String application. Salt near the coast is a concern but rainwater is conductive everywhere (acid rain).

It is most likely Galvanic corrosion that you see. We are putting 12vdc inside connections not designed for it (the CAT5 jack and plug), and then add some mildly conductive liquid (acidic rain water and dew), so you will get galvanic corrosion.

Things that make it worse are: Dissimilar metals, ionic contaminants like salt, and higher voltages (and DC is much worse than AC).

Gold plating helps (Gold does NOT corrode, but it is only a few angstroms thick, so it wears off). CorrosionX should help. Keeping them totally dry would be best but isn't practical in this hobby.

If you already have corrosion, then gently clean, apply CorrosionX, and check it when weather permits.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, »
Thanks guys.  This year will be the test as I will have SSC's laying on the ground on my live trees.  $20 for the magic spray...  This stuff better be the cat's meow. 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, »
How far away is the hub from your SSCs?  I would put a long coax cable on the SSC and then just plug it straight into the hub.  ie, no coax pigtails exposed to water.  Just my thought.  i am not fan of spraying coatings on stuff.  Just my 2 cents.  I put about a 4 ft coax cable on my SSCs for my pixel tree which is long enough to reach my hub which sits next to the pole for the tree.  All my other SSCs (with the normal coax pigtail) are mounted under the eaves of my house to keep them away from direct water contact although a good wind can drive spray onto them.  They have been used for the last two years and I have not had a problem.  YMMV.  I would never have SSCs laying on the ground.  IMHO that would be asking for problems.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, »
I have one ssc that is corroded on the board, when I took it out of the pvc tube the tube was wet with condensation.  I'm playing with landscaping stakes and zip ties to hold them up now.  i think maybe 12" rebar may be better or to zip tie them to the arch ends.  I don't think the zip tie or the ssc on the back will cause a visual disturbance, but need to investigate that.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, »
Ok.  Good info.  4 live trees and they are probably close enough to keep in hub.  Good idea Jim.  I was also thinking of building my zeus 8 for them. 

Alan, was the corroded SSC on the ground?   

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, »

Alan, was the corroded SSC on the ground?

Yes it was, gravel most likely vs grass.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, »
It is quite amazing the amount of gunk that is removed from a shot of contact cleaner and a light tooth brushing...