Author Topic: Add RGB arches to vixen  (Read 2143 times)

Offline crazybob

Add RGB arches to vixen
« on: November 22, 2013, »
I have converted all my arches this year to RGB. When programming them in Vixen 2.1, I realized quickly that it would be way too time consuming. I've read about Nutcracker, but this is the first time I'm at the point where I really need it.
I have downloaded the latest version of xLights/Nutcracker, but I am stuck. I read that there's a way to import vixen/xLights files into Nutcracker and add in the RGB parts, then save as an xLights file for the show. I cannot figure out how to do this.
Can someone walk me through- or point me to a link- that shows how to import last years files (Vixen or xLights), add the new RGB channels, and program them?
Any help would be great. I have been searching the forum, but not coming up with exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Add RGB arches to vixen
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, »
Use the convert function to create an xseq file from your vixen files, then you can program the arches in nutcracker.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline crazybob

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, »
Thanks for the reply.
I do have them converted, as I used xLights to schedule my show last year.
Do the xlights files get imported into Nutcracker? How do I import them?
Do I have to have some sort of timing marks to know when the arch effects should start/stop?

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the reply.
I do have them converted, as I used xLights to schedule my show last year.
Do the xlights files get imported into Nutcracker? How do I import them?
Do I have to have some sort of timing marks to know when the arch effects should start/stop?

Um, Nutcracker is a tab in xlights. It is not a separate program.
be sure you download the latest xlights/nutcracker from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

once you convert your vixen sequence you need to do these steps.
1) Go to SETUP tab and define the controllers you use. E1.31 is for e682, p12r, etherdongle. There are usb controllers listed also
2) go to the NUTCRACKER tab and define a model for your arches. Use "Arches" under the "Display as"
set how many arches you have and how many nodes they have.
3) open a mp3 file that is for your sequence.  This is the "New Musical Sequence" option of open.
4) Attach your arches to themusic by clicking the "Display Elements" button and clicking your arches model
5) Insert blank rows in the grid, set the timing markes where you want your effects to change in the first column.
6) Now go to these effects for arches
butterfly
color wash
spirals
twinkle
singleStrand

press F3 to see what the effect will look like on your arches.

when satisfied click "Update Grid (F5)" . be sure the cursor is on the row in your grid that is under your model name.

7) when done, press save. give it a xlights name.
8) most people would now play the show using xlights. You are done
or
8) Export the new show (this has your old sequence data plus the new arches effects) as either a vix or vir file.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, »
Sean-

Thanks for the walk through.
I got 80% of that right on my own, it was the last 20% I was stuck on.

8) Export the new show (this has your old sequence data plus the new arches effects) as either a vix or vir file.

Where does xLights get the old sequence data if I am setting up a "New musical sequence"? Or do I have to somehow merge the new data with the old data?

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, »
Sean-

Thanks for the walk through.
I got 80% of that right on my own, it was the last 20% I was stuck on.

Where does xLights get the old sequence data if I am setting up a "New musical sequence"? Or do I have to somehow merge the new data with the old data?

if you convert a vix file into a xlights xseq file, you do NOT do step 3 above, Just open the converted xseq. you then add rows into the matrix to put in timing marks and you attach your model to the xseq file. what sometimes confuses people is the channels you already had never display in xlights, they are there we just dont show them to you. you add rgb effects and when you send the data out to your hardware the rgb channels AND your original channels are all sent out.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login