Author Topic: Zeus 8 case  (Read 2040 times)

Offline zwiller

Zeus 8 case
« on: November 22, 2013, »
Zeus is battery box, is the Zeus 8 CG500 or CG1000? 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

Re: Zeus 8 case
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, »
It would be whatever you want to fit it into.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, »
What is the consensus for the first best case for these boards and their bigger brother? I  would like a case that is not a whole lot bigger than the board with the pigtail wires.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, »
I would think a battery box is still the simplest, easiest solution and it contains both the board and the power supply.  It is readily available and inexpensive.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, »
Yeah, that's a big box though, I'm wanting some options on smaller enclosures, there are places where I don't want a great big battery box.  And I am also concerned the battery boxes are not wind driven snow proof.

Alan

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, »
My walmart has two different size boxes. The small one fits an active hub quite nicely with about 2" of space all around to route power supply cables and cat5 without any issues.

As for weather proof - my boxes were outside in all sorts of bad weather and these stayed dry. They are vented so on the warmer days in October when I was testing for the Halloween show they didn't over heat (ok warm days are like 70for us in October) and during the ice storm and single digit temps there was no issue. There is on the one model a tiny slot on the top and I had to put some silicon in the slots to make sure no water got in but after that I put the strap on the lid and things just worked. With the battery box I also built a tiny shelf inside made of that ceiling vent material (plastic 1x1inch squares and was able to stick the psu at the bottom and board on the top.

All worked nicely for me but I can appreciate wanting a tighter fit and a case with the proper mounting feet like a cg1500 offers.

Anywho - see the pictures of what I've done and maybe it will inspire you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, »
Besides the size of the battery box the one other thing I disliked was in the cold areas like myself the cat5 cables get harder to move around/get the lid back on.  Ideal solution would be having cables on the board itself out the bottom like the express instead of top but thats a different discussion.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, »
+1 on that, and I think it's very valid in this discussion about them.  I don't have a CG-500 to see how it fits with the cat 5 cables etc, but I feel your pain with the stiffness of the cables in the cold, they were a pain to corral when I had to get it open, and those little side clips were really difficult to pop out in the cold without a lot of fiddling.

I will likely use 4 core connectors as those I have on hand, and they simplify power injection should I need it sometime.