Author Topic: LE v4 Operating Temperature  (Read 2980 times)

Offline tjbrickner

LE v4 Operating Temperature
« on: November 22, 2013, »
Looking to plan for the inevitable.  I'm sure I could see temperatures in the -20s F this year and want to prepare ahead of time.  Is there a known low-end operating temperature for a v4 LE?
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline tbone321

Re: LE v4 Operating Temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, »
It should work just fine but if it does give you issues, just put a C9 bulb in the case and tie it into one of the LE power inputs and it should provide more than enough heat to keep the LE happy.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, »
+1
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, »
 -20.....it's damn cold!!!

It's going to be a high of 23 Sunday and then 2 inches of snow come Monday. Winter appears to have arrived. I can't wait to see the display with a light dusting of snow on the roof and see how the pixels look.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, »
We already have a couple inches of snow and last night was -15F air temp.  Didn't want to put anything in there if I don't have to, but I also don't want to do it when the temperature gets to be inhumanly cold so I'll just put one in there now.

I almost finished my second one.  I'll try to get an enclosure and try and figure this out.  I was looking at some older posts where previous version had components that weren't rated for extreme colds and was curious if the current version addressed all of that or not.
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, »
I believe that the ones that had components not properly rated were a mistake but -20F does push it even with rated components. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, »
Mine have done fine on the roof buried with snow probably down to -10 f
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, »
Looking at the current BOM for the Express, most components can operate as low as -40C or -55C

the only things that seems close to your temp range (-20C) were of all things the sockets that hold the chips, which show a min operating range on -25C.

to be on the safe side, i'd add a c9 in there as well.

If you unplug your show, maybe plug it in at least 10min before the show comes on.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, »
It Is 25 degrees with winds around 20 to 25 miles an hour first big test tonight and all worked well, and running it wireless

Richard
(Ohio)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, »
The issue with the v4 and extreme cold weather is only a voltage regulator.  Back in the day I ran a few v4s and had issues.  RJ had found a component that worked in the extreme cold.  Sent me a few, soldered them in and all was a good as v5.  Did some searching for you but that is many years ago and I am striking out.  Fact of the matter is, it so much easier to throw in a c9 (I used a c7) and your good to go.  Save the voltage regulator mod for a day when you can put it on the bench...  -20F is cold as a witches... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline drlucas

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, »
..isn't 60 cold for RJ though, did he go to the local supermarket and work out of a freezer to test!

Just kidding - i'm jealous of you folks south of the border! about an inch on the ground...first snow fall of the year.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline dudehenry3

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, »
73 here bright and sunny . Wish we had snow guess ill have to import that
"Where ever you are going... Never take an Idiot with you, as you can always find one when you get there’’

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, »
We've had snow since mid last week and it's been darn cold, single digits.  Hoping for this week to at least get back to normal in the 30s so I can put stuff out.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, »
I'm in the sunny Atlanta area and it was 27 this morning.  I moved south for warmth.  Would you guys keep the cold up your way.  Thanks.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, »
I think my boss went down for the Dolphins game today....perhaps he had a layover in Atlanta? I'm sure when he comes back tomorrow he'll remember to bring the cold back with him...........
-Ryan Lucas-