Author Topic: First etherdongle setup?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline arw01

First etherdongle setup?
« on: November 22, 2013, »
Finished the soldering tonight on the etherdongle from the co-op.

Powered it up and green led is up.

Connected pixelnet to pixelnet in on the active hub

connected computer rj45 port to rj45 magic jack on etherdongle

I have green light and amber light

Set up e1.31 in xlights as attachment below.

Turned on output to lights, selected all channels, r-g-b flash

I get nothing on the strings connected to the hub (work great with the usb dongle and xlights)

The amber light flashing changes frequency  when I am doing the xlights testing

So what am I missing?

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Re: First etherdongle setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, »
Only because you did not state it as a step.   Did you program the pic?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, »
I did, but the programming did not look the same as when the SSC's have programmed.  I cannot say with 100% certainty that it took.  First try told me it needed new firmware to update on the pickit.  I believe it did that on it is own.  The I then left the pickit program, restarted and tried again with the same unusual programming response.

I will go pack it in the house and try it again and post what the screen is showing me.

Alan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, by arw01 »

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, »
Second complete from scratch try to program pic took and looked normal.  I was able to get xlights to turn the lights on for testing and confirmed a nutcracker effect would play fine.

Now to figure out the conductor plugging into the board, anything special there or can I just plug it in and ignore it for a while (the conductor portion).

Thanks for the hint

Alan

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, »
If you leave the etherdongle firmware programmed into it you can plug the conductor into the board and it will still act as an etherdongle. To use the conductor piece you have to change the etherdongle firmware to the conductor firmware. Then it will no longer act as an etherdongle per say. What some people do is they use the etherdongle firmware to test their show setup or sequence output. Then change to conductor firmware to set up the shows. I have 2 conductor units and keep one with etherdongle firmware for testing everything and use the other to run the show. If anything were to happen with the show conductor I can always flash the other one to run the show as a backup.

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, »
Ok thank you and much appreciated.  May watch for an after christmas sale  ;)

Now I understood from other random readings on the board over the last couple of months, that I can connect the ED straight to my router or another switch and still be able to access it from xlights or LSP.

I haven't found any configuration options for ip address of the ed, and only say a passing indication in a video on lsp about a location to tell software what the ip was of a e1.31 controller.

Alan

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, »
The Etherdongle is a multicast device, meaning it already has it's own IP addresses so you don't need to "assign" any IP address to it in LSP (or any other software) just make sure you set your the output plugin in LSP for multicast. Most (but not all) routers and switches should work with the Etd, I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 and although Netgear says it doesn't do multicast my Etd works well. (most of the time the manufactures mean it won't do multicast over the WAN.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok thank you and much appreciated.  May watch for an after christmas sale  ;)

Now I understood from other random readings on the board over the last couple of months, that I can connect the ED straight to my router or another switch and still be able to access it from xlights or LSP.

I haven't found any configuration options for ip address of the ed, and only say a passing indication in a video on lsp about a location to tell software what the ip was of a e1.31 controller.

Alan
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tindivall

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, »
I will be starting my setup tomorrow so figured I would piggy back on this thread... just want to make sure I am understanding correctly... The etherdongle will need to be setup with the Pickit and does not come already programmed like the Zues did?