Author Topic: Who else out here is also into Ham Radio  (Read 2015 times)

Offline tpctech

Who else out here is also into Ham Radio
« on: April 19, 2009, »
After taking a break from working on and planning for more blinky lights I crossed over to my other hobby of Ham radio and built a new computer for my IRLP repeater node.  About 1 more weekend and new box should be ready to go live on my node here in Niles, MI. a top my 180ft tower!

So I was wondering who else does the Ham radio thing out here.  I have had a license since I was about 10...wow that was a long time ago!  I currently have a "tech plus"  which means I did the code!  I am about 30 questions or so from getting my General!.....I just got to study and take the test!  So easy to procrastinate!

WB9WYR

tpctech

KEN 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Who else out here is also into Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, »
Man that is some tower!

I am K4ROB advanced class, but I have not been active in about 7 years.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, »
Ken

180ft Tower = 180ft Mega tree

That's some thick coax/heliax running up that tower.

Never got an amatuer license as morse was required in Oz for what i wanted but i just couldn't learn it so ended up in the good buddy 27mhz band working skip to the US and Europe with a Yaesu 707 and 5 element yagi in the upper half of 27mhz.
The 400w linear helped at times :)

Phil
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, by Aussiephil »
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, »
As you can guess, I'm also a ham.  Not quite as active as I used to be, but I just spent this weekend replacing the Boston 145.23 repeater and other work at the site.
/mike
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, by n1ist »

Offline tpctech

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ken

180ft Tower = 180ft Mega tree

That's some thick coax/heliax running up that tower.

Never got an amatuer license as morse was required in Oz for what i wanted but i just couldn't learn it so ended up in the good buddy 27mhz band working skip to the US and Europe with a Yaesu 707 and 5 element yagi in the upper half of 27mhz.
The 400w linear helped at times :)

Phil

That would be a semi truck of lights!  I think they would have to crank up another reactor at the local nuke plant.

Now,..... I have thought about a animated star at 180ft

KEN

Offline abell

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, »
Do it! Do the star! =)

Offline Greg

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, »

That would be a semi truck of lights!  I think they would have to crank up another reactor at the local nuke plant.

Now,..... I have thought about a animated star at 180ft

KEN

And can you imagine how much that truck load of lights would weigh?  Not to mention changing burned out strings 160' up on a -10 degree night. 

Years ago I changed out beacon lights and installed antennas on a 2,000 foot tower at 4:00am but never in the dead of winter (shiver-r-r-r).

A star would be cool, but it would have to be pretty big to look proper from the ground.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline cmorda

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, »
I'm KD6JIB. Got my ticket when I was 13. I tried when I was 9 but the code was too frustrating for me at that age. Also by the time I was 13 the exams had been updated and didn't have any more vacuum tube questions (or at least a lot less).

I haven't been very active lately. But I do have a couple of APRS trackers that I built from kits.

One of my all time favorite ham radio events has always been Field Day. I really like the challenge it presents.

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline Greg

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, »
Hey Ken,

So, awhile back I was stuck in traffic and what do Christmas hobbiests do at such times? Think about Christmas stuff of course... Hmmmm, 180ft megatree... Truck load of lights... Hmmmm... 

So I started thinking through what that truckload of lights might look like and I jotted some numbers down on a couple post-it notes which I promptly misplaced. Found the post-its this afternoon and here is what was on it:

180ft tree, assume 1.6:1 height:width ratio, 112.5' base diameter, 56.25' radius.
Base circumference 353.4' , string spacing at base 6" apart, 707 stringers.
mini 100 strings @ 23.5'/string so 8 strings per run base to top.
707 x 8 = 5,656 strings.   est 4,248 lbs.

Much more scratchings resulting in est wind load of 5,408 sq ft.

Wandering minds eh?

Standard disclaimers for someone without a calculator.  And after all that, traffic still wasn't moving.  :(

Greg
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline tpctech

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, »
Hey Ken,

So, awhile back I was stuck in traffic and what do Christmas hobbiests do at such times? Think about Christmas stuff of course... Hmmmm, 180ft megatree... Truck load of lights... Hmmmm... 

So I started thinking through what that truckload of lights might look like and I jotted some numbers down on a couple post-it notes which I promptly misplaced. Found the post-its this afternoon and here is what was on it:

180ft tree, assume 1.6:1 height:width ratio, 112.5' base diameter, 56.25' radius.
Base circumference 353.4' , string spacing at base 6" apart, 707 stringers.
mini 100 strings @ 23.5'/string so 8 strings per run base to top.
707 x 8 = 5,656 strings.   est 4,248 lbs.

Much more scratchings resulting in est wind load of 5,408 sq ft.

Wandering minds eh?

Standard disclaimers for someone without a calculator.  And after all that, traffic still wasn't moving.  :(

Greg

That's alot of math for 11pm!  Thanks for the calculations!  I am guessing the tower although it is sturdy it would come down with all that!  Maybe I should stick to animated 8 circuit star!

KEN