Author Topic: SS layout help  (Read 983 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
SS layout help
« on: November 23, 2013, »
I will be outlining my sidewalk with smart strings. I have 100 pixel string but it is only going to take approximately 85 to outline what I want, leaving 15 extra pixels at the end. Since I plan on having the SSC up near the house as shown in the picture I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. One option is that I could cut off the 15 extra pixels and reattach my male end of the SS to the rest of the string in order to connect to my SSC. I don't want to have to cut off the pixels if I don't have to though. Is there any way to treat the first amount of pixels (15 in my case) to be off all the time? Is there someway to treat this in Xlights that I haven't thought of?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

Re: SS layout help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, »
In the SS utility there is NULL NODES, that will let you specify a number of nodes that will always be off, but will relay the information to the other pixels.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, »
Why do you have the extra's near the SSC?  Why not just move the extra nodes down to the end opposit of the SSC by the sidewalk.  Then you could either cut off the extra nodes and keep them for spares or just reduce the node count on the SSC to 85 and just leave them there since they will not light anyway.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, »
One of the great things about smart strings is that you can cut them off at any length.  Cut them off at the far end like Tom suggested.  I have a plastic tub that is full of cutoffs and I use them for repairs or to make up another string for elsewhere in my display.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, »
I wanted the SSC up by the house so I can mount it with a bit of protection for it as opposed to out in the middle if the yard.  Looks like my best option is to just cut off the extras. Unfortunately I have the 85 that I was going to use mounted to PVC to match my sidewalk border.....guess I'll be cutting off from the input side of the string and reattaching the 3pin plug.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, »
Another lesson learned - always start mounting from the SSC end so that it is easy to cut off excess.  I have 4 gutter/eave lines and not one of them match a standard length string.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA