Author Topic: One of three LE's not working  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Christmasaddict

One of three LE's not working
« on: November 24, 2013, »
Can anyone advise me on the preliminary troubleshooting steps on why one of my three LE's isn't working?  If powers up OK and the data link LED comes on when I hook up the cable.  None of the channel LED's work and just to be sure I plugged some lights into the output cords and they do not work either.  The unit was working fine when I put it in storage after last Christmas. 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: One of three LE's not working
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, »
I would not assume it is the LEs.  Stupid me did that once and after a lot of looking at the hardware discovered that I did not have the "output to lights" checked in the xlights tester.  Also things you have done with your computer since last year could have the ports or other things configured differently today than they were last year.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, »
You could also reflash the PIC if Jim's advice doesn't help.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, »
is the wireless jumper off?

does it test with built in test ?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
is the wireless jumper off?

does it test with built in test ?

Excellent Questions. Ones I was going to ask myself. wireless jumper can get you, and if not the on board test tells a lot.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, »
The wireless jumper is on.  Output setting are correct although I did have some issues with that as I just got a new computer.  Two questions:  first, I can't find how to run the built in test that was mentioned, second, to reflash the PIC do I have to use the DMX dongle?  The reason I ask it I switched to an etherdongle last year and haven't flashed a PIC since.

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, »
To test the functionality of the board without connecting a dongle, place the board in TEST MODE after the board is fully powered up. Press the Mode Button until "TST" is displayed. Then press the Select Button. The digits should light up in a circle pattern for a second and then the 16 LEDs should light up 1 through 16. Then they should flash once and finally LED 2 and LED 4 should stay on with the rest off. (If you have a DMX Signal then LED 3 will stay on.) If you have plugs and lights attached they should go on and off with the LEDS.

Hope this is what you are looking for

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, by Rich Renn »

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, »
The good news is all 3 controllers are now working.  The bad news (and scary part) is I don't know what I did to cause it to work.  I have tested all of my sequences and they all seem to be working fine.  I do have a problem with 2 of the channels on one controller not working which was caused last year by my trying to do some repair work and heating up the board too much.  Since I have 48 available channels and was only using 44 I was able to shift those 2 channels in Light Show Pro to 2 of the unused channels on my other controller.  Of course channel 31 is now channel 47 and channel 32 is now channel 48.  I hope I can keep this straight...

Thanks to everyone for their willingness to help me out.  I don't know when I will ever learn to not wait until the last minute to check this stuff out.