Author Topic: BOM  (Read 14169 times)

Offline Murl

Re: BOM
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, »
Personally, I don't see an issue with this.  The COOP was opened with a disclaimer that it was in Beta testing and that it may change or be closed without ordering parts.  As long as the BOMs are worked out before collecting any money and the prices aren't substantially different, it shouldn't be a problem.

This isn't any different than RJ giving a waiver to let the LE COOPS go over the $5,000 limit.  Technically, that's against the rules as well, but RJ and the COOP managers are being upfront with what's being done, so everyone should understand the risks involved. 

The only time I would have a problem is if the rules were changed after the COOP is underway.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, »
I'm in, keep it open.

Ron

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, »
Hi Folks,

I am not getting any wireless at this time so my vote is not bias.

I vote to keep it OPEN.

I don't think it would be fair to the folks getting the wireless system

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline REM

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, »
I agree with the rest. This is really a non-issue to me.  The way I see it, this is a "Pre-Co-Op". Simply a pre-order or reservation process.  I'd suggest an amendment to the rules to say that co-ops following a new beta device have until X hours/days before the closing of a co-op to post the BOM.  That or just take the word "Coop" out of the thread name ;)

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, »
I do believe that the COOP should remain alive.  

However, because of the nature of risk involved, I also believe that should there be a significant increase in the per kit price because of BOM changes (i.e. 25% increase), that the individuals that have opted into the COOP should have one last opportunity to either change the qty of boards or even to opt out.   I realize that this puts one extra wicket in the process, but it would only be exercised if the price changed signficantly because of the testing.    This could also apply if the supplier  dramatically changed their price structure between time of estimate and final quote.   (example...   the  RF chip/antenna jumped from 9.95 to 19.95), so that the kit price jumped significantly) .    

Larry    

(p.s.   the 25% is just a number for consideration )  
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Point taken, but everything was made known on the situation as it stood.  I've argued against various ideas, but this is just a point where reality takes higher point.  If lots of people are going to have lights this season, moving with music, the reality is that we have to work the situation with a little leeway.  There are only so many coop managers and workers willing to do the work over the time required who can set aside the time.  And lots more people are here now, wanting equipment.  Especially wireless.

Jump on TeamSpeak some evenings and hear us all argue out the points and counterpoints.  We're the first to pick on RJ if we think something could be better,,,, or different.  He usually puts up with us... :-)

And if you are about to put out hundreds or thousands of units to people over the world, wouldn't you want to finalize the caps, power inputs, etc., just to be certain?

I'm the first to razz RJ about things, but can't do that here.  He's trying to make the most happy asap, but with things tested first.  Not always a perfect path.

But, in short.  I don't see a problem with the current situation.  Not at all.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, »
If it will help get us parts sooner then there is no question.  Keep it open.

Bill

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, »
Keep the coop open.  As a newbie I need to wait for the final BOM anyway since I'm still not sure what I'm doing anyway.  I would like to get the basic LE kit sooner and am eager for that coop to close.  I need to start learning to build my first something.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline memphislights

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, »
I am not part of this coop, so you can chuck my opinion if you want.   From the "original wireless coop" thread, it seemed pretty clear that the thread was more of a placeholder, or a show if interest, pending successful beta testing.

Do what politicans do, just change the title of the thread to "Gauging interest for Lynx Wireless Parts kits" and be done with it until it is converted to a proper "Coop"

Besides, up to this point, there has been no money exchange, and CAT5 is easy to get in a pinch if you have to go wired.  The wireless is like having AC in the car.  You want it, but don't necessarily need it.  You can work without it worst case.

So just leave it open.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, by memphislights »
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, »
As you can tell from my  order addition, keep it open.

Michael
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, »
Keep going RJ. Open is good.

Thanks for everything.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, »
I vote to keep the coop open.   ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do believe that the COOP should remain alive.  

However, because of the nature of risk involved, I also believe that should there be a significant increase in the per kit price because of BOM changes (i.e. 25% increase), that the individuals that have opted into the COOP should have one last opportunity to either change the qty of boards or even to opt out.   I realize that this puts one extra wicket in the process, but it would only be exercised if the price changed signficantly because of the testing.    This could also apply if the supplier  dramatically changed their price structure between time of estimate and final quote.   (example...   the  RF chip/antenna jumped from 9.95 to 19.95), so that the kit price jumped significantly) .    

Larry    

(p.s.   the 25% is just a number for consideration )  

This is a good point but remember coops aways allow you drop out. Right up to when we order. I let someone drop after we ordered on one because he had a issue where he lost his job. So we kind of always let people do this. It is in the rules that you can drop up to the order being placed. And this is just to protect the coop managers.

But an important point to remember is while you might agree that it is OK to go ahead I did break a rule. The OP is correct in this. No matter how unintentional my actions were.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, »
Vote: Leave it Open

Reason: It was clearly disclaimed that the BOM would not be posted until after the beta has finished. You can choose to join or not based on that.

Whilst I understand and appreciate the point raised a level of practicality needs to be allowed, I too would like the BOM as I have a large mouser order to ship to OZ and would like to include parts, often it is cheaper for me to wrap up unit parts into a large order that is not part of current coops.

Do I really care about the BOM waiting on the Beta test - absolutely NOT. I understand the need to test and confirm parts.

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline grossg

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, »
I vote that we change the rules to reflect pcb pre-orders for cool stuff that RJ is developing that he is excited to share with us and we are excited to get as soon as possible.

After reading RJ's last blog where he says "Stay tuned over the next 2 1/2 months as we have a couple of real big surprises coming for DLA in more than new equipment that you really are going to want to see." I'm like a kid at Christmas wondering what the surprise is under the tree!  ;D

Best regards,
Glen
"Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light"