Author Topic: Testing beyond 4,096 channels with 1 dongle  (Read 3234 times)

Offline zwiller

Testing beyond 4,096 channels with 1 dongle
« on: November 25, 2013, »
Tried a few ways, can this not be done?  Can someone point me in the right direction.  THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Testing beyond 4,096 channels with 1 dongle
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, »
I guess it would depend on what device you are using beyond the 4096 and the type of Dongle?  I use a multiple active hubs on different universes and can test all the way through.  I use xLights test and test everything. the next 4096 channels will start at 4097 in your software, but in the hardware it would be Universe 2 channel 1. I hope that helps and does not confuse you.  Maybe we should start with the type of Dongle you are using?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, »
DMX dongle flashed pixelnet.  In xlights I setup 2 pixelnet dongles 1-4096 and 4,096-8,192 and set hub to Universe 2 and expected it to work but it didn't.  In fact, it crashed xlights. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, »
a usb only generates one universe on the first pair of wires (#1 orange/white and #2 orange)

an EtD generates 4 universes across the 4 pairs.

if you need 2 universes and don't have an EtD, then you could use 2 USB dongles, and a combiner -- which combines the output for up to 4 USB dongles into a single cat5 cable... from there a smart hub extracts data from one pair (which you select with jumpers)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, »
I was aware of the 4,096 channel limitation, was just hoping to get around it somehow.  I am not going to disturb my conductor setup.  Can I somehow use only the 2nd universe?

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, »
I would think you could move your jumpers on the 2nd universe to universe 1 and use the 4096 channels just to make sure lights are working. Then move them back for your show.  I am assuming much here, like you are using a hub or Zues or something you can select universes on.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, »
if you REALLY needed to test the lights receiving data over universe #2 -- and have only one USB dongle, then you can put that dongle onto the second pair of wires using the instructions below.

but I'm not really sure why you'd need to do this -- except as an exercise.  if you have (for instance) a LOR dongle, that dongle is one a different network and its channels will not conflict with the pixelnet channels that come over the USB dongle.  each are separate networks defined in software.

so... lets say you really want to use the 2nd universe... 

1) if you have a combiner, insert it between the dongle and the first hub.  if you want the dongle to be handled as universe #1, then plug the cable from the dongle into input port #1.  if you want universe #2, then move it to port #2.

2) no combiner? then make a cable...  cut a small cat5 in half, and reconnect one end (that connect to the dongle)  using wires #1 (orange/white) and #2 (orange) to the other piece (which connects to the hub) using wires #3 (green/white) and #6 (green).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, »
Thanks Steve.  You hit it the nail on the head.  Great explanation btw.  I need a combiner to switch the wires/universes or rig a cable.  THANKS. 

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, »
wow, that right there is pretty cool. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, »
Had a few universe 2 SSCs to program.  I programmed as the SS utility requires (subtract 4096, plus one)  Then I decided to test in xlights on the channel I used in the SS utility with hub on universe 1 and it worked.  Tried this before and it didn't work but I think I changed hub to universe 2...  Can I be assured that it is programmed correctly (in universe 2) when I test this way?  (no need to mod a cable)  I just like to verify programming before setting it up outside.  THANKS

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, »
If you only have one dongle and you want it to be the 2nd dongle in xlights...  Then, create a dummy dongle that is configured as disconnected instead of a specific com port.  It will consume channels 1-4096 so that dongle 2 takes 4097-8192.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, »
Didn't realize there was a not connected option...  Set this up at lunch and it works with hub set to universe 1 but not when set to universe 2.  Do I still need the combiner/modded cable for the 2nd pair? 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, »
worst case scenario, setup E.131 for the first 4096 channels.
then setup your usb dongle for channels 4097 +
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, »
Same deal...  Works in universe 1 and not 2. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Same deal...  Works in universe 1 and not 2.

You're only going to get output with the hub set to universe 2 if you have an EtherDongle and you're sending data on Universe 2, or you have a USB Dongle and as Steve suggested, you've plugged that into the combiner or made your own adapter cable.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish by doing that though.  There is no logic on the hub or SSC's that know what universe they are on, the only thing that makes a universe 1 hub different from a universe 2 hub is the two jumpers installed to connect the correct pixelnet pair from the input RJ45 connector to the chips on the hub.  If you build your own cable or use the combiner, you're effectively just testing the combiner or home-made cable and that the jumpers on your active hub work (and also your sequencer/xLights is sending data on universe 2).  You're not really testing universe 2 on the hub or SSC's any more than you were testing universe 1 since the devices don't know the difference, it's all controlled by the pixelnet pair they are wired/jumpered to.

I am curious about this comment as well:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Had a few universe 2 SSCs to program.  I programmed as the SS utility requires (subtract 4096, plus one)

I haven't seen the "plus one" mentioned before.  If you want logical channel 4097 on your SSC, that would be channel #1 in universe #2.  By your formula above, you would use 4097 - 4096 + 1 which equals 2 which is incorrect AFAIK.