Author Topic: Channel doesn't shut off...  (Read 2229 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Channel doesn't shut off...
« on: November 13, 2013, »
I have been putting together some SSR controllers with hardware I have around.  I was supposed to do this long ago but never got around to it.
One of the newly put together controllers has an issue.  When I plug lights into channel 2, they come on even though it should be off. When I turn it "on" the lights get brighter and when I turn it off, the fade a bit.  What might be causing this?

I have flashed my pic several times.
I have checked for solder bridges.
I have moved TRIACs around using a known good one at channel 2.
All of my jumpers are set correctly.
I used the same board last season but attached to FREESTYLE so channel 2 worked then.
The other 3 channels work as I can turn them off and on as I wish.

Thanks
Eric

Offline rm357

Re: Channel doesn't shut off...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, »
Normally I would say shorted triac. To fire the triac, the controller has to turn on a led inside the opto-isolator. Since you have already moved triacs around, I would try swapping the optos around next.

You didn't say what you were plugging in to the channel. Some led strings draw so little current that they will light with just the normal triac leakage current. They also experience false triggers and flashes. The usual solution in these cases is to add a snubber resistor to the affected channel. The lynx express uses 47k ohm resistors rated for 1/2 watt for snubbers.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, »
You know....I wonder if in the end this was my problem with my SSRs too.....I moved to the LE because I didn't really have time to troubleshoot any further. Unlikely, but I may be.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, »
Without pictures we are in the dark making guesses.

Some things I would try:
1. Put it back in SSR mode and connect it to the Freestyle and see if the problem goes away.
2. Try a different cat5 cable and/or plug it into the DMX out side to test.
3. Swap out the RS-485
4. Re-Check for solder bridges on the DMX parts (pic socket, RS-485 socket, etc). Especially if #1 works.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rm357

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, »
It could also be a bad pic. It's rare, but it does happen. Each channel has its own output pin.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, »
Thanks for the input.  I'll try to get a pic of the back/front of the defective unit.

I put together 10 of them in the last few days.  This is the only one that is an issue.  I used the same Cat5 and set of lights when I tested all of them. I've used different pic.

I'll try a new RS-485 chip.  If that doesn't fix it then...

I'll try hooking to Freestyle. If problem still exists, than the problem should be easy to get solved.