Author Topic: Light Output Stops  (Read 16272 times)

Offline arw01

Re: Light Output Stops
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2013, »
Is that as simple as pulling the network plug out of the etherdongle/conductor jack on the case?

I opted to not complicate my life more and did not reflash my etherdongle to conductor this year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rick,
What kind of CF card are you using? What brand, size and speed if it is not coming from one of the COOP?
Do you have your etd/conductor hooked to the network when the show is running?
Have you made any modifications to the files on the card after the previous install/formatting of the card?
So far I am 22 minutes into tonight's show without any dark interludes. Had to launch the control panel, as the show started with the volume at 214, which is too low for my conductor. So went in and out, changed it to 254 and exited (unplugged from the network). So far so good, fingers crossed. I'll report if it misbehaves tonight.
It's torture to be forced to watch all of my sequencing bugs in a loop for 4 hours. Dinner cannot come fast enough…

Both the Etherdongle and Conductor were from the first coop for each device.

I will also try dis connecting the network cable tonight to see if that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2013, »
It could be that it is as simple as that, time will only tell. That is only the result of one night of observations on a system that has shown the problem in the past. The reason I tried this, before working on the card, was that I am pretty sure that initially I didn't have the conductor plugged in the network during the first few days of the show, and that I had not seen it failed before running a show with the connection ON. When I observed it for the first time, as well as every time after that, the etd/conductor was connected to the network.
With random bugs like this one, there might be more than one source, and even if being connected to the network while a show is playing, is one of them (which it might not), other parts of the system might be aggravating it.
Nevertheless, I am happy that the show went without problems last night, and I will keep the system as is for the next few shows, while keeping a close eye on it.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2013, »
I might be on something there. Today I had to change the show to add a small interlude. Reformatted the card, brought all the files back and created show, schedule, password and so forth. It was one minute to six when I was almost done, so had the schedule start at 6.05 rather than 6. Wrote everything on the card, software ejected the card then physically ejected from the card writer, inserted it in the conductor. At connection, changed the volume to 254, and ran outside to see the beginning of the show. It started on time at 6.05 and went through the first song without problem. Started the second one and lights went dark in the middle of it. Lights resumed with the next song. Went back inside and disconnected the conductor from the network.
No other black out since then...

Offline keitha43

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2013, »
I might be on something there. Today I had to change the show to add a small interlude. Reformatted the card, brought all the files back and created show, schedule, password and so forth. It was one minute to six when I was almost done, so had the schedule start at 6.05 rather than 6. Wrote everything on the card, software ejected the card then physically ejected from the card writer, inserted it in the conductor. At connection, changed the volume to 254, and ran outside to see the beginning of the show. It started on time at 6.05 and went through the first song without problem. Started the second one and lights went dark in the middle of it. Lights resumed with the next song. Went back inside and disconnected the conductor from the network.
No other black out since then...
I am curious. Are you connected directly to the computer or through a network switch/router? The reason I ask is back when I worked at a company that sold copiers that could be used as printers, the large universities used switches that occasionally would query anything connected to them. If it didn't get a response it would terminate the connection I guess to free up network resources. This query caused copiers to start printing garbage because it couldn't understand the query. New firmware was developed for the copiers to stop that. Maybe something similar is being built into hardware today. The randomness of this problem reminded me of the old copier issue. Just a thought.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2013, »
It is connected to the computer, or a router. I have a lot of choices on my system. I have seen it happen both ways though. But last night was directly to the computer.
It worked fine last night after I unplugged it and I will keep it going that way from now on.
It looks like this is might be one of the conditions (if there are more than one) that does make the bug happen. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, by fyb2000 »

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2013, »
Mine is connected to a switch, I'll try pulling the network and see how it goes on my test bench.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, »
So I think we are on to something.  I've been sitting here watching on my test bench for the last half hour and it has not stopped once where it would have once if not twice by now.  Network port is unplugged.  Going to test some more of plugging it in but leaving the control panel closed and then with the control panel open to see if it comes back.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, »
Since finding out that it might be related to being connected to the network, I have not had a single black out while running the show with the conductor not connected to the local network. Glad it seems to be working for you too. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, by fyb2000 »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, »
If this holds the fix will be simple I am sure. Glad you guys might have a pattern going lets cross our fingers it holds out.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, »
Thanks for your work on this one guys.  I am so far behind that if I had to deal with this I would be not be having a show.   <res.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, »
More information/testing I did.  Note this is for one loop of a show (7 sequences ~20 mins).  Normally I would see this problem happen once or more on each loop.

Ran without issue with the network cable unplugged.
Ran without issue with the network cable plugged in but control panel closed.
Issue came back with network cable plugged in and control panel open on the computer.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, »
I would not keep the network cable plugged. My show just went dark for the first time in 5 days, while I had the network cable plugged AND the control panel closed (closed not minimized, it was simply not running).
It had been 5 days without a problem when the network cable was not plugged.

Offline tomwb301

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2013, »
Since I reworked my sequences and re-exported them I have had no trouble. The conductor has a network cable plugged into a wireless access point Cisco and has been doing fine. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Tom
Humble, Texas