Author Topic: Cord set for Express  (Read 7106 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Cord set for Express
« on: April 21, 2009, »
Please vote if you have any express or are getting any.

RJ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline grossg

Re: Cord set for Express
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, »
Was that a little Freudian slip?  Volt...hehehehe! ;D
"Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, »
No it was a person used to typing Volt 50 times a day and almost never typing vote. The fingers get a mind of their own sometimes. LOL

RJ

Offline cmorda

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, »
Just to confirm, these are 2 conductor correct?

What type of termination will they have on them? Triplex like an extension cord? I personally would prefer a single female connection.

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just to confirm, these are 2 conductor correct?

What type of termination will they have on them? Triplex like an extension cord? I personally would prefer a single female connection.

Chris

No these are the heavier 3 conductor so you cut off the safety. It is the single thre pin connector like on the LOR cord kits.  let go find a picture of ones like it on a site and I will post it. the male power input cords are 14awg and look like the male end on the pic and the outputs are 16awg and look like the female on the picture. Hope that clears it up. This is up in the air as the shipping is not locked down yet but I need to know we could get enough people ordering to be able to make it work before I do any more work on it.

RJ

Offline cmorda

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, »
Oh I guess I was really out there in the fog. I didn't even realize it would include the input cords. That is enough for me to change my vote from a maybe to a yes. :)

So just to clear it up for me and anyone else who might benefit, it would be:
2- 14 AWG male cords for the inputs
16- 16 AWG female cords for the outputs
for $18 depending on quantity achived

Ohhh I just re read the poll question and I am not sure this is right. I need some sleep, I think  :o

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, »
You are correct. The poll cut some of my explianation off. It would include also 2 14AWG power cords to power the units. So it would every cord needed to do an express and it would be nice heavy outdoor style cords.

RJ
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, by RJ »

Offline wbbb1

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, »
I found these 3 foot, 16/3 SJTW female power cords for 89 cents each for 1; 81 cents each for 10+; 78 cents for 100+. Their 125 volt, 13 amp, 1250 watts. Maybe we could order from them using out Group Name, get the 100+ discount and then have them mailed directly to our home or business. That comes out to $12.48 for 16 female cords. Here's the link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They also have many lengths of Computer Extension Cords from 1 foot to 6 foot and 12 foot, and from 90 cents to $1.56 and $2.58 for the 12 foot. If you add two 4 foot cords to the 16 females above, total cost would be $15.08 plus shipping. Here is the link for the male cords: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

JUST ANOTHER CHOICE!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, by wbbb1 »

Offline memphislights

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, »
The only problem is with the input power cords.  I think that they are probably 18/3, not 14/3 that RJ listed.

If you are not going to run push the LE's, then it will probably not be a big deal.

On a side note, I ordered 192 cords from Iofast the other day, and it came out to just under $1 per female cord shipped.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline REM

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, »
I too used iofast for my cords. I bought half of what I needed for the year in the 16/3 females and I bought these 14/3's for my inputs at $2.31 ea: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Shipping really kills you though on just one or two sets. For one complete LE 18-cord "set" it's about $33 grand total (shipped to my house in GA).  For 5 or more "sets" it comes down to more like $23 each set.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, »
Did not know you could get them that cheap! Not worth it then I would have to have done work with the shipping from overseas, waiting 5 weeks on the ship, sorting and shipping so it just is not worth it. I can just get them there.

Thanks for pointing that out.

RJ

Offline memphislights

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, »
If you have IT guys, You might be able to get some of their extra 16/3 power cords.  That is what I am using for my input cords.  On paper, dual inputs at rated 26A (2x13A).  For me that is fine, since that setup will be mostly LED and the breakers are 15A anyway.

If anyone is using lower power setups, then I still have a large box of 18/3 power cords that I am pretty much giving away for shipping.  I think that 18/3 is rated 10A on paper, so 20A if dual corded.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline iowian

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, »
Hi all
Just came across this female plugs the other day have not had a chance to call on bulk price but I think these would work better at least you would not have to cut the ground of and sounds like we could get them cheaper in bulk.I will be trying these when I get time to order them.
Here is a pic them
Dennis

Offline REM

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, »
The only downside to those is that if you do want to plug something in that's grounded (has 3 pins) then you have to shave off that protrusion to get it to fit. Can't think of anything offhand though.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, »
The only downside to those is that if you do want to plug something in that's grounded (has 3 pins) then you have to shave off that protrusion to get it to fit. Can't think of anything offhand though.

To be honest,... I haven't seen a set of lights yet that have three. Now if you have something else like a fan, motor, or other,... thats another story. However, in those cases, ususally something you don't want to control with an SSR anyways.

Leon