Author Topic: Ain't that about right...  (Read 2015 times)

Offline TheQueb

Ain't that about right...
« on: November 27, 2013, »
I didn't get everything hooked up until today and it's just not working for me...  >:( 

My setup is as follows:
xlights controlling d-light four acx16's, one active hub with a couple ss controllers and some pixel arches.

I can get the d-light controllers to respond using the d-light hardware utility and I can play some sequences using LOR and they will work all the non-lynx stuff fine.  It's when i try anything with the lynx that i have trouble.  No output via xlights test or scheduler, etc.

in Xlights I have my dongles setup as follows:
Network Type: DMX
Port: Com4
Baud: n/a
Last Channel: 176
LOR Mapping: LOR Regular or Univ 1
Vixen Mapping: Channels 1 to 176

Network Type: Pixelnet
Port: Com5
Baud: n/a
Last Channel: 512
LOR Mapping: LOR AuxA or Univ 2
Vixen Mapping: Channels 177 to 688

Any idea why I can get out when testing or playing a sequence.  It all worked fine last year and I haven't changed anything.

Offline keitha43

Re: Ain't that about right...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, »
Go into your hardware com port section and verify if com 5 disappears when you unplug your pixelnet dongle. Your com port might have changed.

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, »
Just verified that com port is still the same.  I should add that it's not sending the d-light stuff out either. Nothing lights from xlights but I can get the d-light stuff to light from d-light hw utility.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, »
Make sure the "Output to Lights" box is checked.  It is often overlooked.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, »
Since you have the D-Light controllers in there, do you have a "converter" somewhere to move the DMX from lines 1&2 over to lines 4&5?

(and back again if needed)

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, »
Make sure the "Output to Lights" box is checked.  It is often overlooked.

Output to Lights is checked.

Since you have the D-Light controllers in there, do you have a "converter" somewhere to move the DMX from lines 1&2 over to lines 4&5?

(and back again if needed)

I have the d-light controllers on the original d-light dongle

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, »
Check your USB setup in Xlights to make sure you have the right COM ports and last channel information set correctly then "Save Setup" before testing again.

Just to make sure we are understanding correctly you are using 2 dongles

Dongle 1 D-Lights USB dongle USB COM 4
Dongle 2 Lynx Pixelnet Dongle USB COM 5

What version of Xlights are you using?

Hang in there, is is most likely something simple...
Jeff Squires

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, »
Just verified that com port is still the same.  I should add that it's not sending the d-light stuff out either. Nothing lights from xlights but I can get the d-light stuff to light from d-light hw utility.

This line worries me. You say "I can get the d-light stuff to light from d-light hw utility"  which means that you still have the original D-Light firmware on the ACx16s.

But you are sending DMX out, per your configuration. The D-Light controllers will not auto-swap to DMX (like the LOR controllers will do), so there is no way that they can come on.

You will need to either send LOR protocol to the D-Light controllers or replace the PIC chip on them with the Open DMX firmware.

Or - I'm misunderstanding something here.  Let me know.

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, »
Check your USB setup in Xlights to make sure you have the right COM ports and last channel information set correctly then "Save Setup" before testing again.

Just to make sure we are understanding correctly you are using 2 dongles

Dongle 1 D-Lights USB dongle USB COM 4
Dongle 2 Lynx Pixelnet Dongle USB COM 5

What version of Xlights are you using?

Hang in there, is is most likely something simple...

Correct on the setup and I'm using 2012c. I used it last year too.

This line worries me. You say "I can get the d-light stuff to light from d-light hw utility"  which means that you still have the original D-Light firmware on the ACx16s.

But you are sending DMX out, per your configuration. The D-Light controllers will not auto-swap to DMX (like the LOR controllers will do), so there is no way that they can come on.

You will need to either send LOR protocol to the D-Light controllers or replace the PIC chip on them with the Open DMX firmware.

After reading this I went into the xlights setup and changed to d-light network type at 115200 baud and iI got the d-light equipment to test working.  Guess I need to get dressed and go look at the pixelnet elements as I can't see them from the warmth behind my window. lol

Appreciate the help guys!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, »
Good catch, that slipped right by me, I was thinking his D-Light controllers were DMX.

Jeff Squires

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, »
Do you have anything connected to the D-Light dongle other than D-Light controllers?

If so, unless they are LOR, they won't know what to do with the output.

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, »
Nope, just 4 acx16s