Author Topic: SSC v1/v4 and 1809 flexible ribbon:SOLVED!!::  (Read 1735 times)

Offline mitch09

SSC v1/v4 and 1809 flexible ribbon:SOLVED!!::
« on: November 28, 2013, »
I am having trouble getting my v1 SSC to program start channel using a new flex strip from the wiki. I have not modded the SSC since they have worked perfectly for two years. I can hook the SSC to a strand of 1804 nodes and they flash as programming correctly. They also respond perfectly after programming in Xlights.
When I hook the SSC to a new 1809 flex strip I get nothing. I have checked the continuity from the pigtail pos and grnd  through the flex strip to the output side. It's a newer pigtail so color is yellow(red)+, brown(blue)-data, blue(green)-
Is this a known problem with the v1 SSC not being able to drive the 1809?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, by mitch09 »

Offline njKeever

Re: SSC v1 and 1809 flexible ribbon
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, »
As I discovered a couple of days ago when I replaced a bad node, there is an "in" side and "out" side of the nodes. Are you sure you're hooking up the new strips the right way?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, »
Also in the smart string utility you have to reflash it and choose "flexible ribbon" in the smart string device type section.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, »
Pigtails soldered to the "in" side of the ribbon and flexible ribbon checked in utility but still no blinky

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, »
The only time I had this problem I blame my old eyes.  I had the wires on the 3 wire connected soldered to the board in the wrong order.  Just something to double check.  Look at the wire colors / use all the way from the strip to the board.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, »
If you are still having issues then I would would try test firmware on SSC.  If that doesn't work then it is a bad strip or section of strip. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mitch09

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, »
Update:
I have tried v4 SSC to no avail. I can get them to program(flash) via the correct utility.  I programmed using USB dongle flashed to pixelnet->4-port hub(powered)->SSC v4->flexible strip.
I power down when programming by unplugging the cat5 while it is flashing. Move the jumper. Close the utility. Open Xlights. Plug in cat5.
This is where it gets weird. The lights sometimes come on multicolored when I first plug in cat5. What would cause this? Bad chip on SSC? If I unplug cat5 and plug back in sometimes the lights go off sometimes they change hue.

However I cannot get them to produce any lights in Xlights. I have Xlights setup with one universe and just 512 channels. 

Offline zwiller

Re: SSC v1/v4 and 1809 flexible ribbon
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, »
I test in xlights and do exactly as you with dongle and 4 port.  Xlights is pretty dang forgiving.  You have xlights setup as a pixelnet controller with correct com port?  I never can have both programming utility and xlights up since it uses same com port.  You are closing the programming utility right?  What start channel did you set strip up for?

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mitch09

Re: SSC v1/v4 and 1809 flexible ribbon
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I test in xlights and do exactly as you with dongle and 4 port.  Xlights is pretty dang forgiving.  You have xlights setup as a pixelnet controller with correct com port?  I never can have both programming utility and xlights up since it uses same com port.  You are closing the programming utility right?  What start channel did you set strip up for?

zwiller you are a genius. After reading your post I realized my mistake. I had Xlights setup as e131. I just had to change to USB and select pixelnet and comport.

All is well and BLINKY!!

Offline zwiller

Re: SSC v1/v4 and 1809 flexible ribbon:SOLVED!!::
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, »
 8)

If you gave up on the V1 I would suggest converting to V3.  Although I could get a V1 to work with 1809 flex it flickered.  V3 fixed this.