Author Topic: Odd issue with some channels <<solved>>  (Read 2487 times)

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
Odd issue with some channels <<solved>>
« on: November 29, 2013, »
I have random channels staying on or not dimming properly. This is happening on 2 different le's one I have had for 3 years and one new this year, they are next to each other in the channel order. I run them off cat 5. I have restarted vixen, the dongle, both le's and still have the same problem. I ran a test of the complete show yesterday with no glitch's. It almost acts like interference maybe from the cat 5 but cant isolate anything. I am kind of out of ideas at this point. I am going to try to rerun my cat 5 tomorrow. any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, by scottmc70 »
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline tbone321

Re: Odd issue with some channels
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, »
What are these channels doing when the show is not running and do you have your terminations set properly?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What are these channels doing when the show is not running and do you have your terminations set properly?
When the show is not running the Channels are off it only happens when show is running. I have the terminations set. I have 5 le's this happens on one that is terminated and one that is not but it feeds the to the one terminated. It is happening on channels 33 to 62 but the others are not effected.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, by scottmc70 »
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, »
I have been using my LEs for 4 years.  I am having the same issue you are having with an LE.  I found the problem and is was a PIC. I think it just got tired.  I have used the LE And Pic from the beginning.  I swapped out the PiC tonight and all is fixed.  You might look at the PIC. 

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, »
I have been using my LEs for 4 years.  I am having the same issue you are having with an LE.  I found the problem and is was a PIC. I think it just got tired.  I have used the LE And Pic from the beginning.  I swapped out the PiC tonight and all is fixed.  You might look at the PIC. 

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did you reflash your pic or put in a new one?

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, »
Now I am even more puzzled. I have the two le's that are doing this on the same power circuit and it is shared with a timer that controls the static lights that come on when the show is not running, so I removed the timer and ran the show no problems ran fine. I thought I had fixed it plugged the timer back in ran show fine turned on timer curict ran fine. So the same setup as last night is running fine this morning. There is not even a temperature difference. maybe the le's are scared of the dark <fp.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, »
Morning also means warmth from the sun hitting the case.  When you were back on the timer circuit, were the lights on?  What type of timer is it?  Mechanical times are just rotary switches and should cause no issues unless completely worn out but electronic timers are usually SSR's and can put a lot of noise on the power line if overloaded or beginning to fail.

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, »
Morning also means warmth from the sun hitting the case.  When you were back on the timer circuit, were the lights on?  What type of timer is it?  Mechanical times are just rotary switches and should cause no issues unless completely worn out but electronic timers are usually SSR's and can put a lot of noise on the power line if overloaded or beginning to fail.
True one case was in sun the other was shaded. The timer is a Brinks electronic timer and I tried with just timer plugged in and then with the timer powering the lights. I am going to see how the show runs tonight and if it messes up  I will try to unplug the timer and see if there is a change.

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, »
I have found the problem it was the flood light for the tune to sign. It was plugged in to the same power cables that ran the le's. unplugged it and the show runs perfect. So now I will not plug anything in to the same power cord as an le. Thanks for the help.

Offline arw01

Re: Odd issue with some channels <<solved>>
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, »
Was the flood a flourescent or something, a bad led?  A plain bulb should not do that.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, »
It sounds to me like excessive voltage drop on that line.

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, »
Was the flood a flourescent or something, a bad led?  A plain bulb should not do that.
It was one of the new fluorescent type bulbs.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, »
Many of the new bulbs are high frequency and can put a lot of noise on the line, especially the lower cost ones.