Author Topic: puzzled?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
puzzled?
« on: November 30, 2013, »
I am puzzled as to how I could lose sequence data on a removable usb drive? I stored my sequences in 5 different folders, one of which was a removable thumb drive. two of my songs in all locations are empty. no channel data, no event data.... nada! how? I thought that was the point of back up! back up! back up! one of the songs is just my opening dialogue but the other was winter wonderland which had quite a bit going on. being behind on sequencing, which I am sure most of us are, this really sucks.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline arw01

Re: puzzled?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, »
Do you always properly eject the drive in windows?

Just pulling it out can cause delayed write to not put proper entries on the drive.

I lost a bunch of photos once and found a utility to recover deleted files worked great on a usb card.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4

Offline winwin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, »
are the files missing or nothing happen when you open them with Vixen? if you open then straight from the thumb drive, try to relocate them in the original folders and see if it works. I do not know why but i had this happened to me with a sequence not in the original directly but once moved it would work.
I think I recently saw a post mentioning this too. Good luck.
AL.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, »
never had an issue last year ejecting the drive. saved to it several times  during the season. stuck it in a drawer and this year  all my sequences are gone. audio is still there, all my pictures are still there.  ejecting the drive wouldn't have anything to do with the files being empty in 4 other places on my computer. when I transfer the files to the vixen folder so that I can open them, there is nothing, channels are gone, data is gone.
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, »
My question to you is how did you do all of these backups.  It looks to me like you did them all at the same time.  It could be that your last edit prior to saving somehow wiped out your sequence files and if you then copied them to all of your save locations, you wiped out all of your work.  In the future, I would suggest you also use archive backups.  An archive backup is set in stone and is never updated or overwritten.  This way, if your last backup craps out or your show stops working for whatever reason, you still have the archive of the last functioning version.  As for ejecting the drive, Windows will cache some write operations until it has more time and at times, that operation gets lost in he sauce.  Anything not written when the drive is pulled is lost.  Ejecting the drive forces Windows to flush the cache and complete the operations.  In most cases just pulling the has no issues but there is always the case ....  Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, did you create these sequences under a profile and did you save the profile with the rest of the files?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, »
I had this same problem a few years back. I can only offer the hope of my outcome. When using Vixen you can accidentally or in purpose build a desperate profile. When used it will seem you have lost all your sequences, but your music will still play.  I suggest you try to find your old profile and use it. I was surprised I did this to myself. The worst part was when I used the new profile I had backed up all my files and thought the same as you. If this ends up being the issue just save and back up like T-bone suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, did you create these sequences under a profile and did you save the profile with the rest of the files?

yes i saved profiles. i have 3 backup folders that i save, audio, profiles and sequences.  i just so happened to have saved my conductor sequences from last year, i was able to convert them back to vixen and got it all to work. guess i was tooooo tired last night and needed a recharge. between working during the day and staying up till 2 am working on this years show, my brain a little behind right now! lol

I will start doing an archive back up. that I was un aware of. thanks.
Florence, KY

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, »
Often when downloading sequences from others they appear to have no programming. but it is due to a lack of a proper profile.  Those little files are more critical than you might think.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA