Author Topic: EtD Not working  (Read 3196 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
EtD Not working
« on: November 30, 2013, »
Ok, I have moved away from my "Fried Board" (see previous post) for now.

I pulled out my backup EtD.  Trying to test it out using SS Utility to program a set of SS and SS4.
When using the SS Utility and the EtD it appears the EtD only corrupts the pic on the SS4.  After making an attempt with EtD if I go back and try to program the pic on the SS4 with my PIXELNET Dongle nothing happens.  I have to reflash the SS4 before I can get the PIXELNET dongle to program and get flashing lights.

I know there are so many variables here but what might be the most likely cause?  I have already reflowed solder joints.  To check correct placement of parts I compared the parts on my back up dongle to my previously working dongle and things appear to be in the right places and correct orientations.  The only thing different is the 240ohm resistors, as the dongles were from different coops.  I get the LEDs on the MAGJack and the EtD to light up when plugged in and connected to my PC.  The dongle is flashed (several times) with Pixelnet V2.

Thanks for any help.

Offline brent

Re: EtD Not working
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, »
This may be a stupid suggestion, but make sure your windows firewall is disabled. That cost me 4+ hours this year.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, »
The firewall isn't the issue either.

I took the EtD and just to see what would happen tried it to get blinky in a test seq (using LSP).  I got output but it was unpredictable flicker and flashing; all 128 nodes more or less the same color.  Would that suggest the or some of the problems on the board?

I only ask these questions because, while I can usually put these boards together, troubleshooting them is a something harder for me to grasp.  In general, I have been lucky and not needed to do much as the hardware typically goes together nicely.

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, »
I have used the xlights testing tab a whole lot more than the one in LSP, with something like RGB cycle or alternate you can get the timing figure out and know if you have some flakey controller issues.

I would also try a different cable from the etd to the smart hub, and if you have a usb dongle does it have the same issue?

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, »
Thanks for the feedback.   It is much appreciated.
 I haven't tried my PIXELNET dongle with a sequence but will.  As for the cabling.  I haven't checked them but I used Monoprice patch cables, brand new.  I assumed they would be OK but I should have checked prior to using them so I will do that as well.

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, »
You are correct that they should be good, but we all know what assuming does sometimes..

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, »
Cables are good. 
I don't think I'm going to get either of my EtD to work this year (if ever!).
I'm thinking around them now.  I have pixels I would at least like to try to get out.  The number of channels I want would span over one 4096 universe and spill into the second one.
I have two PIXELNET Dongles.  Can I plug them both into the same computer using different USB ports (and hence, COM ports) and mimic what an ETD does by assigning them Universe 1 and Universe 2?  If I can do this great!

I'll probably need some advice on how to do this in LSP but will post those questions in the appropriate section.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I took the EtD and just to see what would happen tried it to get blinky in a test seq (using LSP).  I got output but it was unpredictable flicker and flashing; all 128 nodes more or less the same color.  Would that suggest the or some of the problems on the board?

Is it possible you set your smartstring utility to hybrid mode? In hybrid mode the first 3 channels control the whole string. For example if your start channel was 1 then channel 1 would be the whole string red, 2 would be whole string green ect. Individual channel control wouldn't begin until channel 4 which would be node #1 red ect.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I only ask these questions because, while I can usually put these boards together, troubleshooting them is a something harder for me to grasp.  In general, I have been lucky and not needed to do much as the hardware typically goes together nicely.

This does not sound like a etd issue, I have never seen one put out data but it was wrong. If they send data they work. Are you sure you are using the pixel net firmware not the DMx firmware? Is it possible you have something in the setup on the software incorrect?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, »
As for hybrid mode possibility; I have never selected that as an option.  Please read on however...

I've been thinking about this for awhile.  I should have taken a hint from Arw01 and tried Xlights but it didn't dawn on me until RJ chimed in.  I have been using LSP to test my lights all along.  I went to Xlights to test.

First I tested my string with a pixelnet dongle - got lights to function - now I know my controller and SSC is correct.
Second, I tried my EtD - and got lights to function!   However...they seem to be functioning in HYBRID mode.  Honestly, I have never selected hybrid mode.  Never considered it an option. About 6 of the nodes in my 128 string don't turn on.  However lights on either side of these nodes do turn on.

Third, I tried my EtD with LSP and got the same output from LSP.

So, using what appears to be a functioning EtD, I tell myself lets try to program my SSC with it using the Utililty and get rid of hybrid mode.  SSC has program jumper set.  Hit Transmit -  I don't see flashing lights  :-[     I am using the SS Utility version that has "grouping." 

I put the jumper back to operate and test lights and no lights.   :-[

I'm going to reflash my SSC and try to get things running again. 

Thanks guys, I feel like I'm getting closer.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, »
I went back and reflashed my SSCv4.  Connected everything together.  Programmed the SSC with my USB dongle.  I got PERFECT lights with both my USB dongle and my EtD!  Even the lights that didn't light before are now lit.  I have a perfectly normal string of 128 RGBs under my control again!

Still a bit of a mystery why when I try to program a SSCv4 with my EtD it seems flaky and isn't successful and I need to reflash the pic on the SSC to get things working again.  I am now programming them with my USB dongle.

I took this a bit further.  I added my Conductor back in the mix.  And I'm having issues connecting.  I looked at the card connections and did find one that loose so touched it up.  I am still having problems connecting.  I have double checked the file names and all <8 char.  I have my SEQ and OGG files on the card.  Control panel is able to load my test sequence and show from my card.  I have set a password.  I'm thinking there must be another or same pin on the card connections.  Will take a another look.  I suppose there is the possible short now with me messing with the small pins so I will look there too. 

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, »
I've gone over the pins on the card connector very carefully and am confident there are no solder bridges or loose pins.   Still no connection on Conductor. 
I'll revisit the card next.  Format and start with new files.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, »
No go, still no connection. Filenames are all test in lowercase, less than eight char (test.ogg, test.seq).  Conductor Panel can read/load the sho and schedule files as well.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, »
Password? 16k allocation during format?

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, »
Yep - its in there!
and yep formated to 16K. 
Still working on this!