Author Topic: some strings act like they are in program mode  (Read 5656 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: some strings act like they are in program mode
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Remember that power and signal are two separate things here.  If the current draw was so great that all of the nodes are under voltage, then it should have blown the fuse.  The most likely situation would be that the nodes would work up to the point that the voltage drop is to great and then the nodes from that point would have issues.  The signal strength is unaffected by the number of nodes in the string.

no blown fuses. the pic24 is all that controls signal per string right? I swapped pics with a known working pic, and swapped strings. definitely a signal issue. it's only one string on one of the zues. the other zues was stuck on with no response in sequence but would flash during programming threw the utility.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, »
this is how it's set up outside. 8' diameter on the half circle
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, »
Very nice setup there!  How long are those cords?  They look 3-5' each to me.  Should be fine, right?!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, »
Very nice setup there!  How long are those cords?  They look 3-5' each to me.  Should be fine, right?!

thanks. most are at 5' a couple are 5'4'' or so. the tree was playing just fine Saturday night, so I assume they are ok.
Florence, KY

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, »
Maybe check those problem channels for a bad wire to terminal connection to the Zeus.  My poor connection on a data wire really resulted in erratic behavior before I realized you could sometimes attach a wire to those terminal connectors incorrectly ...

I also noticed that once you set a channel in 'program' mode that it will blink till you power it off and remove that jumper then turn it back on.  You probably already knew that.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, »
finally found time to trouble shoot one of my zues. I had a couple of bad 3pin connectors, but I also have a dead string. I have swapped pics with a known working pic, no go. i have 12volts so it's not power it is definitely a signal issue. do the mosfets control signal? i checked for solder bridges and there aren't any. i reflowed all the pic socket pins and they are good. what else controls signal to each individual channel.  when is the BOM going to be available in the wiki for mouser parts? i want to order some extra fuses and pics for spares.
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, »
Yes, mosfet would be a prime candidate...  I suspect it is the same mosfet (same circuit) as SSCv4 so if you have an extra...  Would be awesome if that fixed it.  Try some careful metering and see if you detect differences between good and bad string channels.

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, »
when is the BOM going to be available in the wiki for mouser parts? i want to order some extra fuses and pics for spares.

The BOM is held up until all the zeus are shipped and the reason they have not shipped is because the PICs are not available.  I also am ready to order some misc spare parts and did not order yet because the pics were not available.  Thankfully there is nothing I HAVE TO HAVE right now.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, »
Yes, mosfet would be a prime candidate...  I suspect it is the same mosfet (same circuit) as SSCv4 so if you have an extra...  Would be awesome if that fixed it.  Try some careful metering and see if you detect differences between good and bad string channels.

what steps should i take to check with a  meter?
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, »
when is the BOM going to be available in the wiki for mouser parts? i want to order some extra fuses and pics for spares.

The BOM is held up until all the zeus are shipped and the reason they have not shipped is because the PICs are not available.  I also am ready to order some misc spare parts and did not order yet because the pics were not available.  Thankfully there is nothing I HAVE TO HAVE right now.

the mosfets and pics are the same as the sscv4 right? mouser is showing pics and mosfets in stock. i guess the backup for the zues is on the bulk order.
Florence, KY

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, »
I had a ssc v4 that wasn't working and it turned out that I has soldered two pins together on those 3 pin mosfets.   I visually could see it, so I just removed the excess solder and then it worked!    Seems like that could have happened on a Zeus with all those mosfets ?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, »
Great idea Scott.  Those leads are close.  I would start with that.  Fingers crossed...

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, »

Went over all the solder joints last night. I will double check but don't think that's my issue
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, »
I am no EE and would just poke around things and compare with Zeus off.  I would start with continuity and compare bad and good legs of mosfet.  I hope the continuity test shows enough to replace mosfet.  Wonder if this one had a bad 3 core connector and got fried.  I would also then compare other components and see if I could identify other issues out of whack with the bad string channel. 

From there if testing is inconclusive I would defer to suggestions from the more knowledgeable. 

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, »
update on mine, turns out the string that was not responding was a connection issue at the screw terminal, which is weird because when taybrynn mentioned to check it, I did and they all seemed fine. I was going to share a string so I ran the screws all the way in with no wire and tested on top of the screws and it was working so I redid the connection and it works.  3 total connectors bad, all mosfets are good.

I seem to have one of them working fine but I had to program one zues at rgb and one of them at gbr. if I left it rgb the colors didn't match up. zues 1 is set to universe 2, start channel 1696. zues 2 is universe 3, start channel 1. 1600 nodes, 4800 channels so I did 2400 at the end of one universe and 2400 at the start of universe 3. it matches up now in xlights so that's what matters.

I still have the flashing string on my other zues but with snow and frigid weather coming, I just shared two strings on one terminal(100 nodes) so I could get it running and work on some other stuff I had to do before the snow comes on Friday. had to finish the roof line. once I get everything going and some sequencing done, I will go back to the zues with the flashing string. people will never know that 2 of the strings are the same. 
Florence, KY