Author Topic: SSC Programmer  (Read 1583 times)

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
SSC Programmer
« on: December 02, 2013, »
After setting things up and having to reprogram some Ssc's, I was dreaming of a programmer that I could use instead of the entire active hub. Something you could just plug into the wall, plug into your dongle and SSC and program instead of pulling all cables out of the hub to program one controller.   Does anybody have a nice solution to programming Ssc's on the fly aside from having a spare dongle and active hub?

And this makes me think of another question, can you program an SSC where all the cables are plugged into the hub but only one controller is jumpered to program?  Will it affect the other Ssc's that aren't set to program?

Offline Made2Rock

Re: SSC Programmer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, »
I'm ran into a problem with a zeus and had to use the active hub. I am still have to deal with some problem so I will be looking for a solution to this problem. What I intend to do is use a dongle to produce pixelnet and then use a 4 port passive hub that I can plug the SSC into. This should give me the pixelnet signal and the power for the SSC.

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, »
The problem with the SSC and the DSC for that matter is that they need power and get it from the input connector.  The solution that you may be looking for is to use the 4 port hub and a 12V supply.  Then you can plug your dongle into the PixelNet input and your SSc into one of the 4 outputs, supply power to the hub with a 12V 5A wall wort or other 12V supply and you are good to go.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The problem with the SSC and the DSC for that matter is that they need power and get it from the input connector.  The solution that you may be looking for is to use the 4 port hub and a 12V supply.  Then you can plug your dongle into the PixelNet input and your SSc into one of the 4 outputs, supply power to the hub with a 12V 5A wall wort or other 12V supply and you are good to go.

tbone, this is EXACTLY what i was thinking of...

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, »
If only one SSC has the jumper on you can leave all the other SSCs connected up.  I've did that last year when I replaced an SSC after the show was running.  I like the 4 port hub suggestion. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If only one SSC has the jumper on you can leave all the other SSCs connected up.  I've did that last year when I replaced an SSC after the show was running.  I like the 4 port hub suggestion.

i may give that a shot.  was just worried about corrupting any of the others but i guess that is what the jumper is for.

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, »
Hmm, a 12v makita battery, a passive hub, a dongle and a latptop, could be make for a pretty portable in the yard programmer..

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, »
I was thinking of this as well (as I've got a few SSCs that are behaving... erraticaly... in the yard right now).  There are a couple of questions though.  Do you have to have the RGBs connected to program the SSC?  If so, how many?  Do you need as many as you are programming the dongle for or can you have less?  If you can do less, then it seems to me you could mount a couple of RGBs on/in a box, the connector, a few D Cells and be good to go.  The RGBs are drawing about 29 mA each (according to the wiki), and D cells are usually around 8000 mAhr, so you would have plenty to go around.  Or, a couple of 9Vs (through a 12V regulator) for less space.  It would make a nice little tool, along with a laptop or netbook, to be able to rapidly program in the yard, or in the comfort of your workshop without the need for an extra active/passive hub.

Of course, the cost and trouble of all this might just be more than having a spare passive hub in a box.

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, »
You don't NEED to have any pixles connected but if you don't, how would you know if it accepted the program or not.  Even a single node should be enough for the controller to be able to indicate that the setup was accepted.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving