Author Topic: channel problem on new board or something else?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline DonFL

Re: channel problem on new board or something else?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, »
 Good point..re-reading winwin's comments, it seems he does have proper channel setup in all cases..I missed that on first read.

Out of 12 LEs built this year, I've run into two problems...one, a bad output cord/plug...you make a couple hundred and you're bound to have a bad one in the mix, and another was an intermittent channel which turned out to be a poorly seated opto..it made it thru build and test, decided to be a problem once deployed in the display. Removed and reseated..and viola..working.

This should be an easy one to track down and find..just a matter of working back from plug to opto..

sjb

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, »
Not another rabbit hole, but if it worked in test mode and with sequence A, would we not also confirm that sequence B is not using a profile or has something to do with the amount of output as in a light curve on the board?

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, »
Cold solder joints will react this way as well.  We don't know what other conditions changed between these tests.  The LED's on the LE respond proportionally to the output of the channel it is connected to.  If the output was so low that you couldn't see the light from the string, you wouldn't see the light from the LED either.  The first step should always be to confirm that the hardware is fully functional before you head down the much more difficult road of configuration quirks and setup issues.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, »
I still think a good test with xlights will help.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline winwin

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, »
Good news at it seems that the LE is working fine and as Don pointed out, it may have been the case since day one.Unfortunately I cannot tell (yet, need more time) what the root cause may have been but I would be tempted to say that the main problem was xlights related with the tests functions (either not using properly or a bug?). They may have been a few other factors that contributed to muddy the water and distracted me from the main issue...mea culpa! While I do not recall the exact event, I was running xlights to test lights and noticed that when switching from one test to another the lights would not respond accordingly. It made no sense why a channel would work with one test and not with another...so i did the typical stuff in that case, shut down the program, rebooted and tried again and found the non-responding test to work. I ran again out of time this past weekend so I want to be cautious until the show is running (this weekend!) to confirm that all is good.
I know this is still odd but if it is working fine now i am not going to touch it! Seriously, you have given me good info to work with and should the problem re-occur, I am in position I can troubleshoot the system right away.
Thanks for your supports, you are really helpful folks!
AL.