Author Topic: beware of bad 3-pin quick connectors  (Read 1593 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
beware of bad 3-pin quick connectors
« on: December 03, 2013, »
FYI

I just got 100 pairs of the 3 pin waterproof quick connectors from Ray ... and so far I've had at least 3 which were shorted out internally.  So considering I haven't even used anywhere close to 100 yet ... my failure rate on these is very high ... and on all 3 it was shorted in the pigtail itself, not my soldering or splicing job.

So by checking these first with a multimeter you can avoid these, but I'm hoping I just got a bad batch of them?!

The third one just verified that the Zeus fuses work great.  In fact I heard an electrical SNAP ... while trying to program the start channel while hooked up to test nodes ... and this shorted pigtail blew the fuse on the zeus.  I checked it and sure enough two of the 3 wires made a connection when they should not.  Nice to have replaceable fuses !!

Scott
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: beware of bad 3-pin quick connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, »
I didn't have any snap any fuses but I have 5 out of 32 that seem to be bad. going to dive into it more tomorrow.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, »
The other thing I saw wiring up a Zeus tonight was that the SS wire can go into those screw on terminals in a couple different ways.  One is the proper (good) fit and the other is a very poor (too low?) fit which can come lose or just isn't very tight period.  I noticed when I first put a wire on wrong, it lit up but has a erratic pattern and behavior, probably because it was the data wire and wasn't getting a good signal.  So I removed it and put it back in and that time it was a much better fit ... and on my retest, the light acted much better and no poor behavior anymore.  Just a thought.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, »
I have not found any 3 or 4 pin connectors bad yet, and I do check every one before using, but you might have seen my post on 10 out of 20 of the 4 pin tees that were shorted.  So, it doesnt supprise me.

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, »
i have had 1 completely shorted and one that appears to have a loose connection.  This is out of 7 that I have active.  Probably going to switch over to a different connector.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, »
Are these the connectors that come in the coops, or did you purchase them directly from ray?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, »
mine were purchased from Ray.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, »
i've used between 2 and 3 hundred of Ray's 3-core and 4-core pigtails without issue.  This includes a recent batch just a month ago.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, »
Out of 15 pigtails I used from the SSC co-op, one was bad so far.  I have 9 more I will check, never checked them before I used them, but will now!

Offline bassmants

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, »
I had one string stop working, switched with another ssc for ease.  I suspect it's the pigtail.  I will check it tonight.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, »
I got them directly from Ray in the last month.  I guess I have bad luck since my failure rate seems much higher than others have had.   

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, »
had a bad connector again this year and decided I would strengthen my network with something else.  anyone use something similar to these?

manufacturer site:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login