Author Topic: First addition of led nodes  (Read 2015 times)

Offline lburnham

First addition of led nodes
« on: December 02, 2013, »
Hey guys I'm having an issue getting my etherdongle to program the ssc's i'm incorporating into this years display.  I have an etd with conductor attached flashed with pixelnet firmware, this is connected to an active hub that up til now has only been used for the dmx output.  I have a laptop connected to the etherdongle and the output of the dongle to the pixelnet input on the active hub, then out of a port on the active hub to a v4 ssc.  I have flashed the ssc with the v4 firmware and have the latest ssc utility running on the laptop.  I noticed when i plug the ssc into the active hub some of the nodes flash on then off almost instantly.  When I transmit the configuration to the ssc nothing is happening.  The etd magjack is blinking in a manner that seems to indicate that it's working, i.e. yellow led blinking, but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.  When connecting to the etd what is the ip of the laptop supposed to set to? I have searched the boards but haven't been able to find it.  I'm not sure how to trouble shoot my problem as I have no known good setup for pixelnet, only the dmx out of the active hub, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.!  Thanks.

Offline tbone321

Re: First addition of led nodes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, »
If the active hub is putting out DMX, then there is nothing wrong with the ETD or PC configuration because the hub is converting a portion of the PixelNet data to DMX and if there was an issue with the EDT or its configuration, there would be no data for it to convert.  The issue appears to be with the SSC.  Please give a better description of the steps you are taking to set it up and test it.  Also check the wiring of the nodes to the SSC and what type of nodes do you have connected to it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, »
Did you move the jumper to program mode?

Offline lburnham

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, »
Ok, yes I moved the jumper on the ssc's to program mode.  I tried (2) different ones that I just built with the same results. I'm not sure how to test the setup other than what I have tried, trying to configure an ssc. From what I gather I should have tried a running a sequence from vixen with my laptop directly connected to the etd (outputting pixelnet) and confirm that my dmx (lynx express) equipment works while connected to the active hub.  If i am able to control the express then I know I'm good to the active hub is this correct? 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, »
That is correct. 

Offline lburnham

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, »
BTW I wasn't clear on this I have used the etd/conductor as a stand alone player but I have never used the etd to run sequences while attached to a pc running vixen.  This is why I was asking about setting the ip of the laptop.

Offline lburnham

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, »
Thanks for your help I'll give that a shot.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, »
The ETD uses Multicast so there is no specific address for the PC, just as long as it has one.  If you can control an LE then you are good to go configuration wise.  As said before, you need to be a little more specific on the specs and setup method being attempted on the SSC, such as order of steps taken and exactly what nodes do you have conneted to it.

Offline lburnham

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, »
Ok thanks.  This is the string that I'm using :
128 node LED pixel string ;DC12V input;TM1804IC.
Smart String Controller V4
Flashed w/Smart String Controller V4-7 firmware: returned checksum "D8D3"
Nodes connected with the large ic facing the ssc.
I'll try running a sequence directly from the laptop thru the etd tonight.  I do appreciate the help  ;D

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, »
You can try using xlights to test the lights.

Offline lburnham

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, »
Thanks  Keith!