Author Topic: cannot program start channel of dsc  (Read 2931 times)

Offline salongaopm

cannot program start channel of dsc
« on: December 04, 2013, »
I have 3 dsc that i cannot program the start channel. i replaced the chip (from a working dsc) and reprogram it using pickit3...still no success.

Offline tbone321

Re: cannot program start channel of dsc
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, »
How are you connecting the nodes to it?  If you are using the 4pin waterproof connector, check it for shorts or open connections.  Some of these have had issues.  The next step is to make sure that the hub doesn't have a blown fuse on that port.  The third step would be to swap out the nodes connected to the non functioning unit with a string that is working and see what happens. Even though the dumb strings are much easier to debug than the smart strings, simple things can go wrong and shut down the entire string.  If the 12 wire is broken or connected to the wrong pin, nothing on the string will work.  The DSC may be setting up but if the string does not work, you will never see it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, »
I would also flash for test firmware and see if you can get some lights.  If not then check for blown fuse/continuity.  I've not seen it myself as I am using DSC for spots, but apparently the DSC only flashes on the blue channel when it is successfully programmed.  Do NOT assume the wire color of your nodes are correct for hook up.  ALL of my dumb gear was not. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How are you connecting the nodes to it?  If you are using the 4pin waterproof connector, check it for shorts or open connections.  Some of these have had issues.

I am using 4pin waterproof connector. I re-checked it using a tester and there is no short.

The next step is to make sure that the hub doesn't have a blown fuse on that port.
Although my hub seems to have 4 port not working but i tried it to the port that i know is working...still no success.

The third step would be to swap out the nodes connected to the non functioning unit with a string that is working and see what happens.

I tried again using a know working strip...still no success.

Even though the dumb strings are much easier to debug than the smart strings, simple things can go wrong and shut down the entire string.  If the 12 wire is broken or connected to the wrong pin, nothing on the string will work.  The DSC may be setting up but if the string does not work, you will never see it.

I re-checked the 1,2 wires, they are connected to the right pin.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, »
If not then check for blown fuse/continuity.

I checked the capacitors and resistors of dsc...they all have continuity.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, »
You try the test firmware? 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, »
You try the test firmware?

not yet. i will check it out.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, »
found the test firmware in the wiki. how do i use it?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, »
Just load the firmware into the PIC and plug it into the hub with the controller set in run mode.  This firmware will cause the DSC to cycle thru the colors wthout the need for any input other than power.  It proves that the DSC and the string connected to it are working.  If the test firmware functions, then I would look at the 485 and make sure that it is in correctly. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, »
i loaded the test firmware, connected them to the hub and the lights started flashing. it cycled thru different colors.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, »
That's a good sign.  Check and see if you installed the 485 chip correctly as per the manual.  From here I think you may have a programming issue.  Correct com port/correct utility/config. 

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, »
it seems to be working now, i was able to program the start channel. I have not tested playing a sequence though. I will test it again later once the rain stops. It is hard working with the lights when it is raining... ;D

Also, i need to fix the problem with the hub. I found 6 port that are not working. When I plugged in the dsc with test firmware loaded, the lights did not turn on / cycle thru different colors. i will resolder the rj45 to make sure there is enough contact.

thanks!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, »
You likely just have blown the hub fuses, we all do.  Check them for continuity and replace.  I keep a SSC flashed with test firmware to test for this. 

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, »
you are right on. the hub fuses failed the continuity test. i will replace them and hopefully get it working before night time.

thanks!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, »
Do a search for hub fuses.  Some good info and mods.