Author Topic: Small indoor smart string tree  (Read 1130 times)

Offline jess_her

Small indoor smart string tree
« on: December 04, 2013, »
My brother saw my smart strings and liked them. He had asked me what it would take to do a table top setup where he works. SO the price of a Etherdongle, hub, SSC, and strings are just a little steep for what he is trying to do. BTW these guys are a bunch of code writers.
Also I think this violate the Lynx usage terms anyway.
But this got me thinking, AND I'm not asking for any code rewrite.  Why cant you take a standard dongle different firmware  no hub two SSC of 1 universe 170 nodes for a small tree.
Just a thought.
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline keitha43

Re: Small indoor smart string tree
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, »
A standard dongle won't supply power to the nodes. What you could do is use a v3 SSC with the test firmware on it. And some type of powered hub. You would be limited to 128 nodes but for a small white artificial tree it would be plenty. You could eliminate the dongle. You could use more than 1 SSC but the SSC's would go out of sync eventually. Although they may like that.

Offline jess_her

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, »
Hmm, power wouldn't be a problem just in connect the SSC directly to the power supply, fused would be the right way.   I never really used the test firmware for SSC 3 and I don't have one. But I do like  that Idea.  If I did this for myself I would use my equipment.  I do think this would break the Lynx rules in an office setting. Just thinking out loud anyway.
Thanks Keith.
Jess

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, »
Yes it would break the rules. No commercial installations.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, »
Ray sells a tester that works good for small displays. There is 1 for 2811s that is only $3.00. There is no music with these, but make for nice stand alone displays.
Have Fun!

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, »
Would be cool to put a show on the family Xmas tree and maybe even a decent star of some kind.

Offline jess_her

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, »
Thanks I'll check Ray's tester out,  Yes an indoor tree lights would be something but IF I did that I would Use my Smart string stuff.