Author Topic: Temperature question on the lynx express version 5  (Read 2851 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
How cold can it get before the lynx express will have trouble running? I wasn't sure what the temperature raing was on the parts. It will be getting record cold here is Oklahoma very soon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, by holland lights »

Offline tbone321

Re: Temperature question on the lynx express version 5
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, »
That depends on what version of it you have.  You can always put 1 or 2 C9's in the case with it and keep power going to it 24 / 7 and it should work just fine regardless of the version.  We are supposed to b mid to upper 70's for the next two days and then the cold hits here as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, »
It is +2 here in Denver and mine are working fight.  I believe the components are rate to -40. 

Offline towtruck

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, »
I wondered the same thing earlier this year. Hear is the thread with the answers:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, »
I've run at -10 f without issues besides the occasional frozen cat5 connection
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, »
Only down in the single digits here, but I can tell you someplace in the low 20's or teens, my compact florescents, in some of my static display, don't warm up enough to even flicker when the LE ramps them up.

Put those in a few years back for cost savings, but with only the occasional on and off, it looks like I'm out there this morning in 7 degrees changing a bulb to incandescent!

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, »
I've not really paid much attention to the temperature, but I live in central Minnesota and have not had any issues with the V5.  No where near record lows here, but it's still pretty damn cold. The expresses are rock solid.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, »
Only down in the single digits here, but I can tell you someplace in the low 20's or teens, my compact florescents, in some of my static display, don't warm up enough to even flicker when the LE ramps them up.

Put those in a few years back for cost savings, but with only the occasional on and off, it looks like I'm out there this morning in 7 degrees changing a bulb to incandescent!

A florecent bulb is actually an inductive load and is not really a recommended component to be connected to an LE.  They are also very temperature sensitive.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, »
OK cool. I cancelled the show for tonight and tomorrow, or at least until the ice and snow is gone. We have freezing rain and snow right now.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, »
I have tested this the past couple years since I first started noticing issues in the cold.  -9F is where I start seeing channels flicker.  I tested it last night when it was -10F-12F and had a couple channels flicker.  I just tested the same channels now that it's above 0 and they work fine.

Moral to the story.  If it's that cold, people shouldn't be out watching the lights anyway.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, »
We also experiencing unusually low temps here in South Texas.  The weather man is actually suggesting the night-time temperature might drop below 90F one night.  I'm skeptical.   ;)

Seriously, I doubt we need to worry about it down here.  The all-time record low temperature for San Antonio was set in 1949.  It was 0F.  Typical night-time lows in December and January are in the 40F - 60F range.  It's good Christmas and Halloween are not in the summer, though.  Daytime ambient temps are often well over 100F for several weeks on end.  We've actually never had a day over 100F in December or January, but we have in February and we've seen over 90F in December.