Author Topic: Poor fade transitions and lights stuck on Zeus problems resolved  (Read 1352 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I am having a similar issue now with my third Zeus.

After I set start channels (no problems, they all blink after setting just fine) ... I switch out of program mode and go to test with xlights.

Note: I was only using 6 channels on the zeus and only programmed the first 6 with the utility.

In the xlights tester my symptoms are:

- lights sometimes stayed on and are slow to turn on/off (a bit laggy or less than instant on and off)
- when I running the rgb cycle with mixed colors test ... fading (transitioning) of light colors is not smooth (jumps to next color suddenly) ... basically 'jerky' transitioning (not smooth)
- I'm seeing this on all channels not just one ... using reference test nodes that are working fine on the other zeus

So I tried to re-seat the wires but it didn't help.

I also tried re-programming the six start channels but that didn't help.

I tried resoldering but that didn't help and checked mosfets -- nope

I tried replacing the 485 chip -- nope

I tried moving wires around to different channels and redoing the connections -- nope

I am using the latest version of ssc utility which defaults to Zeus mode.  I am setting channels one at a time and not using the ALL option ever.
I think since I am using all 128 node strings the ALL Option doesn't really help me at all, since it would exceed one universe of PN.

So I finally went back into program mode and and set every single channel to start at channel 1, one at a time.

Then I programmed the last six channels on the zeus to the starting channels I wanted. 

Now the fades are all smooth.

My theory, just based on some tidbit that RJ said about them all being wired in parallel ... is that perhaps ... there is some connection where if you don't program all of the 16 channels that this might happen ... but read on, because maybe its an even thing only?

Now I believe I did my other two zeus with just the first 9 channels (odd number) and didn't have any issues.  Meaning I didn't program all 16, just the first 9 only.  So why would 9 work but 6 would have this fading issue?

Anyhow, lots of guessing going on here ... but I was about to give up on this one but finally through massive trial and error -- it works beautifully now !!!

Beside fading so much more smoothly, its also much more responsive ... meaning the on/off lag and occasional being stuck on ... also went away.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CW

Beside fading so much more smoothly, its also much more responsive ... meaning the on/off lag and occasional being stuck on ... also went away.

I agree totally.  I replaced 14 SSC V3 in a Merry Christmas sign with 2 Zeus 8.  No extra little flashes, quicker response.
Very happy with the results and getting them for this season, Thanks to RJ, coop manager and DLA!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Wierd issue Scott,

The only time there should be an issue is if there were pics on the pcb without the firmware or bad firmware. As long as the communication ports get configured on all of the pics, which is part of the startup in the firmware, they should not bother each other. No matter what their configuration is. they are just independant SSC's that only share power and the Data line. Only during programming does any of the stuff with what chip they are come into play. In fact other than when they are in program mode they do not know they have friends close by, they think they are the only SSC on the pcb.

Glad you got it working.
RJ
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks RJ !!

Based on your comments, obviously some or all of my speculation probably isn't valid.

One thing I did was take the cords off the first six zeus terminals and moved them to the last six terminals instead of the first six.
That didn't seem to fix anything.

I then attempted a program ALL, which gave me an error since it was set program all 16 to 128 and it stopped me.  It seemed to say
it was transmitting afterwards, so I decide to set each manually against 'just in case' ...

Then I set the first 10 to start chan 1 and 128 nodes (I won't use them) ... then set the last 6 again to the correct start channels ... then a
miracle happened ... those last six worked great.

I was going to shoot a video because visually the nodes just acted terrible before (very poor fading) ... and when it was fixed, you could just
instantly see how smooth everything was.

I agree, WEIRD problem.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]