Author Topic: Drill size for Ray's RGBs  (Read 2892 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Drill size for Ray's RGBs
« on: December 05, 2013, »
I'm working on a last minute wooden display.  This year I'm just going to use standard lights, but I wanted to upgrade it to RGBs next year.  My plan was to make it similar to the coro displays, by drilling holes and mounting the lights on the back with the bulb poking through the hole.

So I get the spacing right, does anyone know what drill I should use for these?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks.

Jason

Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline njKeever

Re: Drill size for Ray's RGBs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, »
I used the diagram below when I made my smart star. I don't remember what drill size I used, but I'm pretty sure it was 1/2" based on the dimensions listed.

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, »
Wow, looking at the picture, I would not have thought they would be a 1/2 inch in diameter, but I guess that would make sense with the circuitry in it.

Thank you.

I guess now my other question is what would you typically space them out as?  One every 1/2" (on center) maybe? Or is that too close?
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, »
Yeah I used 1/2 for my nodes I put into piping.  1/2 may be a little close, I would say 1 inch should be fine.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, »
Why would you double the size of the bit for "a little close"?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, »
Not using a bigger bit, I was asking about the separation.

node --1/2"-- node --1/2" -- node

or

node --1"-- node --1" -- node

Or something in between.

Thanks.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, »
LOL, I didn't read it correctly, my mistake.   <fp.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, »
I spaced mine at 3'' on my mega tree and they look great. my roof line, windows, doors, and siding outline are all factory spaced at 3 3/4-4'' and they look fine. I used a uni-bit to drill all my holes into 1/2'' pvc for my mega tree, it cut threw a lot easier than a drill bit. if your doing a matrix, I would probably space them a little closer.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, »
I drilled 1/2" holes thru PVC pipe for my matrix. Regular bit. Don't use one with a "funky" tip, just the basic shape. Recommend a drill press for consistency. Some of the pixels had to be wiggled and pushed to get thru the hole on the back side. The whole pixel is actually inside the tube except for the tip sticking out the front. Very protected.

I made a horizontal Matrix from 24 tubes. The tubes are wired in sets of three; each tube had 40 TM1804 pixels, spaced 3" apart horizontally (so the SSC was configured for 120 pixels). The tubes are painted black.

I used spacers cut from 1/2" sched 40 PVC and 1/4" all-thread to get the 3" vertical spacing between tubes.

For storage purposes, I made this 40x24 matrix in two 40x12 sections. They will "nest" face to face within each other to protect the pixels.

This matrix is now 8 months old and has warped a little in storage, but that is only noticeable up close and in daylight.

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, »
What I'm making now is technically a matrix, but not as big.  It's only about 2' x 2'.  I'm drilling an inch apart and alternating rows, so technically the lights will (almost) be about a half inch apart.

It might be too dense, but I guess there's only one way to find out...

Worst case is that it sucks and I wasted $5 on a piece of plywood.

Thanks everyone.

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, »
Pictures please gents, I have some spare flex strips to play with and these are interesting ideas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline njKeever

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, »
Here's the template I created to make my "smart star."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, »
12mm if you want a tight fit. 

12.7mm is about 1/2".
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, »
Here is what I was working on.  As I said, it's just basic LEDs this year in plywood.  I made 1/2 holes because I would like to transition it to RGBs next year, but after all that, I may have to re-do it anyway because the plywood chipped quite a bit from all the drilling.

Maybe I'll re-do it in coro...

Anyway, enjoy.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, »
Seeing that the node is designed to be inserted into sheet metal and we are mounting on pipes and whatnot, does the node stay in place in a pipe or is a fastener necessary?     
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."