Author Topic: SSC Utility problem  (Read 1259 times)

Offline masterelectrician2112

SSC Utility problem
« on: December 07, 2013, »
Hey all,

I am so frustrated with this right now.  I have been trying to set start addresses for my SSCs and absolutely nothing happens when I transmit the address from the utility.  I can see lights on my magjack so I know its getting that far, but I don't know what happens when it goes from there to an active hub to an SSC to my nodes.  I am using brand new cat5 cable and I have reflashed all the components' pics.  Any ideas?

Offline tbone321

Re: SSC Utility problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, »
The first step is to make sure that the SSC is getting power from the hub.  Also make sure that the hub is set for Universe 1.  What is the start channel that you are attempting to set it to?  I would load the test firmware into the SSC and see what happens. If the nodes start changing colors when you plug it back into the hub, that will confirm that the SSC is getting power and that the nodes are functional.  If they don't light, then you have a point to start looking for what is not working.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, »
Is there test firmware for the SSC v4?  I didn't see any in the wiki. When I plug the strand into the hub, I get a very dim white on just one of the pixels.  I don't know what that means.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, »
There is no test firmware today for the v4

-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, »
How about this to break things down a bit.

Reflash the ssv4. That should put start channel to 1.  Make sure program jumper is not on.

Then go to xlights. Make sure you have 8 universes set on multicast. Then go to test tab. Output to lights and then rgb and do the multicolour test.

Does this basic setup work? You might want to start with this point and then go forward as I can't make any other assumptions on your setup.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, »
Also make sure your chip side of the node is leading to the ssc. Are you using 3 pin connectors? If so there have been reported problems with shorted and/or loose connections in those. Make sure your blue wire is going to data ect. Make sure you have chosen "nodes" and the correct type of dongle.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also make sure your chip side of the node is leading to the ssc. Are you using 3 pin connectors? If so there have been reported problems with shorted and/or loose connections in those. Make sure your blue wire is going to data ect. Make sure you have chosen "nodes" and the correct type of dongle.

I have found several failures of the 3-pin connectors. Now I always check for continuity before soldering them to the SSC. The failures I have found are almost always on the 'data' blue/brown wire of the 3pin connector.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, »
I tried using Xlights to turn on the lights as drlucas suggested.  It wouldn't work.  I must have a hardware problem in the etherdongle, active hub, or SSC.  Or it could be the lights themselves.  How can I tell if the pixelnet output on the etherdongle is working?

Offline Pete

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, »
Same issue is active in a different thread we may want to watch both of these threads

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pete