Author Topic: Connecting Lights  (Read 1671 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Connecting Lights
« on: December 10, 2013, »
I have connected my SS to the 3 wire connector using Butt connectors.  I am finding this to be unreliable.  I wanted to use butt connectors as I thought this would be better (stronger) than soldering the ends of each wire together. 

What method are people using to connect their SS to the 3 wire connectors?

Offline njKeever

Re: Connecting Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, »
A good solder and heat shrink is the way to go. 

Offline bassmants

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, »
+1

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, »
I used butt connectors in one situation ONLY. Emergencies. Going up to the roof to replace a bad node...i'd crimp the node on the ground with the butt connectors, fly up on roof with wire strippers and make the cuts and recrimp...ended up in the end I had WAY too many bad nodes to deal with this way and introduced other issues...so I've since pulled all those bad nodes down, replaced with new string, and just use pigtails with soldered connections and shrink tubing on it. If I had a portable soldering iron I would never resort to the butt connectors...I've also just stripped wires, marr connected them and then electrical tape, but that wasn't very effective.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, »
I like to strip enough wire that I can make a pair of hooks in the wire.  Then hook the two wires around each other and solder that area of the wires touching, slip some heat shrink over it and then another heat shrink over the three of them.  Rock solid connection.

Offline njKeever

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, »
I usually strip the jacket, then carefully shove the two ends together about 1/4" so that all the strands mesh together. Then I flow solder all the way through the strands. Haven't had a bad connection yet!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, »
+1 solder and heat shrink.  Can't take credit for it but another member suggest adding a dab of silicone sealant/adhesive to the joint before slipping heat shrink over.  Probably not necessary but I do it.  I also like to use another larger diameter section over all 3 joints on the 3 wire connectors but not on splices.  Looks more professional but once again not necessary. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, »
Solder and heat shrink for me.  I use silicone on the joints before the heat shrink and also cover the three small with one large heat shrink.  Sometimes, I use a coffee stirrer to turn my caulk gun into a long syringe to inject silicone down into a piece of heat shrink tubing.  That's probably overkill, but it's my first year and I'm paranoid. :)  Anything to keep those technicolor strings lit....

If the wires are being tugged on hard enough to break a solder joint then I have bigger problems.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, »
One thing not discussed, but what do people do at the end of a string of lights? I simply put a dab of liquid tape at the ends...do people take any further precautions
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, »
Although I don't, some guys also stagger the cuts of the wires.  My liquid electrical tape has dried up and plan to try hot glue this year. 

RE: strength of solder joint.  One time in a fit of rage I grabbed a 3 wire solder joint and proceeded to try and rip it apart and it did not come apart at the joint.  The wires nearest to the joint gave way...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, »
solder and heat shrink is the way to go. i stagger cut my wires at the end and used liquid tape to seal them. the only time i use any type of crimp connection is i used male and female connectors so i could break down my pvc frames for storage.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, »
Solder and heat shrink.  It is stronger than the original wire.

I also use hot glue on the cut-off wire end.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, »
I bhave been using hot glue for the splice but it doesn't always seem to work all that well.   ;D
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, »
You can get heatshrink with an adhesive-based sealant already in there.  When you heat it, the sealant melts and the tubing shrinks, forcing the goo into the joint.  You can also get heatshrink caps for the ends of the wires; I usually just fold the end over, put on the heatshrink, leaving about 1/4" past the fold.  Once I shrink it, while it is still hot, I squeeze closed the open end with a pair of pliers.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

/mike

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, »
Thanks guys. 
I have some rework to do!