Author Topic: wireless bridge  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
wireless bridge
« on: December 07, 2013, »
I'm almost sure that RJ showed using wireless devices to show the Etherdongle in action.  I'm trying to find what he used or what others use as I want to put an ED and Express across the street to control my neighbors tree.

I tried a TEW-654TR  but could not get it to work like I thought.

Any suggestions on what has worked or what you are using?

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
Re: wireless bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, »
Here is the video.  At 10:22 RJ talks about the wireless units but doesn't say what they are.  ???

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, »
You are after something like a netgear wge101 type device.  Once configured to your network they just disappear and make whatever is connected to their Ethernet port think it's connected to the wireless network.

I would definitely read all the review son whatever kind you get, as I was never really happy with those units.  They never seem to have the range you really need.  Putting on directional antennas would have probably solved my issues.

I prefer a cable whenever possible, but in your situation that's not going to work.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, »
Will these connect to an existing route/access point?  i.e just need one?

I'm not much for wireless either.  Copper is king.  For this I'm just playing now but if it would work I would want something that will work as best as could be expected.  I would be looking about 100' with cars being the only real obstruction.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, »
I used Wireless with the conductor. I myself only would use the ETD wired.  Big difference. The ETD is sending a lot of data that is timing sensitive. The ETD is sending information about the show etc. Which is very little data and not so time sensitive. The ETD will accept information over a wireless and it does not know where the Data is coming form over the ethernet.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, »
With three universes of data being transmitted in my case this would probably be a bad idea for what I'm trying to attempt.  Another member on PC said he was doing 8 universes with another setup so I thought I would give it a try. 

I haven't had good luck with wireless, hence my signature.  "Wireless is nice, but copper is king."

Thanks everyone.

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, »
My only question is, does your neighbor have decent internet? Do U? If so, you need a program to pick off the broadcast udp, resend it to your neighbors ip, then set up their router to foward to another pc, to then pick off, and repackage, and send back out on his local network as multicast.

Sure wan ip addresses change, but mine, comcast, hasnt changed in 5 years.

Delay really shouldnt be an issue.
I have controlled my lights dynamically in real time from a 3g smartphone. It wasnt perfect, but worked great for a cell connection. Hardwired internet should be darn fast.
Boucher Family Lights

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, »
The idea is very interesting and I just might try that in another case in the future. 

But on a side note, this brought a smile to my face because my neighbor could care less about technology.  He's quit happy with his flip phone and probably doesn't even have an internet connection. :)