Author Topic: Dimmer tool to reduce intensity of xLights and Conductor sequence files  (Read 943 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
The "Dimmer" tool for xseq (xLights) raw files is now complete:

SeqXlater-xseq.pl

The version for conductor sequences was also updated:

SeqXlater-seq.pl

Both are found here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Note: I found it necessary to do the xLights file format because it can deal with more than 4x4096 universes.  Conductor format is limited to 16384 channels because Conductor uses multiple units to handle every new group of 4 universes.

Description: 
By specifying a range of channels, you can lower (scale down) the intensity of an element by a percentage... reduce it to 50% of the existing values, 90%, etc.  You might also be interested in increasing the intensity by using percentages above 100%. -- 150%, etc.

You can also limit the intensity to a max value...  255 is the max allowable by DMX, btw. 

Its possible to combine both the scale and limit options together.  lower it to 70%, but still ensure that the intensity is no more than 127.

If you have multiple elements that you wish to "dim", then run the output file through the tool again with a new range of channels, and repeat as often as necessary.

Example:
I have a mega-pixel tree that uses the Technicolor lights.  They are very bright, but are also experiencing problems if I run them above 50%.  So I set the max intensity to 127 (half of the max 255).  I also use the scale -- it is not needed in this case, but I show how it is specified.

>  perl SeqXlater-xseq.pl in=HarlemShake.xseq out=HarlemShake2.xseq scale=70 max=127 start=32869 end=47868

Note:
Scaling might reduce the brightness to the point where the LED's light curve at lower intensities might affect the visibility.

Max does not scale -- everything below the max level will remain as bright as before, but a channel exceeding that level will be capped at the max.  This can cause color mixes to be affected (ie. a color that has a high red component and low blue component (255,0,87) will look differently if the red is capped to 127, but the blue remains at its original value (127,0,87).

The script is written in Perl, and all (?) free perl interpreters should work without issue.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Made2Rock

I downloaded it, ran it and it worked as he said it would.

I'm not sure how to deal with that.
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I downloaded it, ran it and it worked as he said it would.

I'm not sure how to deal with that.

disappointment? sorrow? glee?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro