Author Topic: SSC4 Configure Question (Fixed)  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Pete

SSC4 Configure Question (Fixed)
« on: December 08, 2013, »
When using the SS utility for SSC4's will the lights flash as with the previous versions to show a successful programing?

Pete
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, by Pete »

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Re: SSC4 Configure Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, »
I believe so.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, »
Yes they will.

Todd

Offline Pete

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, »
Hmmmmm . . . .
I have 32 SSC4's and I cannot get one to program (no lights flash).  I have checked and rechecked all wiring, connections and have programed and re-programed the PIC.   Help!

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks - Pete

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, »
Yes. If they don't check to make sure you are using the input side of your strip or the chip side of nodes. If using 3 wire connectors check them as some have bad connections or shorts. To clarify was your program jumper on? And your hub powered up?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline Pete

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, »
Yes to all the questions . . . checked again too just to make sure.

Thanks - Pete

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, »
its always good to confirm the environment first.  do you have any working sscv3, v2, or v1 that you can reconfigure to confirm that it is a v4 problem -- or not?

...and, are you using the latest utility?  it is an EXE file that is dropped into the install directory that was created by an earlier version.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, »
Even using the first version of the SSC utility the lights will still blink when programmed.  They will just not work right since not all the needed data was programmed.  I know this first hand since that is what I did a few days ago.

Todd

Offline Pete

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, »
Help please . . .

I have checked and rechecked . . . I am still stumped - Thank you for all your suggestions.     I worked on this last night until my wife said "go to bed, sleep on it you'll figure it out in the morning".   Well I did and started again this morning and made no progress figuring this out.

I cannot get the SSC4's to take using the SS Utility (yes it is the newest one with "grouping").  I have checked the nodes - all good - reprogrammed (multiple times) the PIC using a Pickit 3 (using correct HEX file and the checksum is good) - did a continuity and short check, good - removed all plugs I was using and made a basic straight run to SSC and lights.  AND I have tried multiple SSC4's with the same result . . . not lights flash when transmitting with the utility.

Now a twist . . . I tried a SSC3 never used before - same result.  So I loaded the test firmware on that SSC3 . . . lo and behold it works.  I reloaded the standard firmware and again nothing (multiple times too). 

Then, I took a display item I used last year with a SSC3 and tried the utility on it and it works.

I checked all solder connections too

I am stumped again.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - Pete

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, »
If the test firmware is working then that's a good sign.  Triple check to see if you have installed 485 ship correctly.  Using a dongle flashed pixelnet or ETD?  Choosing appropriate device in program utility? 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, »
I got my ssc v4 programmed without problems.  They flash the same as before when programming takes.  Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the version listed for the V4 in the wiki ?

I'm also having a problem programming a v3 (modded v2) suddenly to control from rectangular modules.  When this stuff doesn't work, you can sure waste a lot of hours in a hurry!

I also like to reflash the firmware to the latest (per v4 firmware in wiki) and make sure my checksum matches before using the SSC string utility.

Are you going from an etherdongle -> SS HUB -> SSC ? 

The other day I didn't have the etherdongle plugged into the SS HUB --- seriously, I was so embarassed when I figured it out.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, »
It is probably the Pickit 3 that is giving you these issues.  I d believe that the Pickit 2 works with these PIC's and if you have one, I would use it.  If not, then you may have to reset and reload the Pickit 3 firmware.  MPLab can do that for you.  You may also want to shoot a closeup picture of one of the SSC's that is not working and post them so that we can take a look and rule out any issues with the boards.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, »
Can you explain exactly how your connecting the SSC to the PC ... all interfaces and devices and jumpers set, etc.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, »
if you can program the SSCv3 with test firmware, and it works... then your pickit3 is working.

if you can get the SSCv3 with test to do blinky, then your hub has power.

if you cannot get the SSCv3 or v4 to do blinky before getting the channel assignment (xlights test mode set to do ALL channels), then it sounds like your pixelnet isn't working (anything from computer to dongle, dongle to hub, ...)

if only one had problems, you might suspect a 485 chip, but not all of them... well, unless there was an assembly problem.

so...

check your computer to dongle:

make sure EtD magijack (silver connector) is connect to your network switch, or directly to your computer.  make sure that your computer shows the NIC is enabled and reports a link.  the computer should show transmitted packets -- and if you have a sending device, also received packets.

make sure that your cable connects from the black EtD jack to the smart hub, it should be connected to the pixelnet IN connector on the middle of the hub board.  you should have a green light on the hub (that is a given since you have power for the test firmware to do its business)

what do you know about the hub?  has it successfully worked before?

what do you know about the dongle?  has it successfully worked before?

change out cables -- I've seen that cause problems too.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Pete

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, »
I am at work so I will try and check all this in the AM and post results.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login