Author Topic: SSC4 Configure Question (Fixed)  (Read 3631 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: SSC4 Configure Question
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you cannot get the SSCv3 or v4 to do blinky before getting the channel assignment (xlights test mode set to do ALL channels), then it sounds like your pixelnet isn't working (anything from computer to dongle, dongle to hub, ...)

He also said that he took out a display item from last year that uses a SSC3 and it was working so that eliminates the issues with the ETD and cables up to the controller.  Just because it can load the test firmware doesn't mean that it can load the running firmware properly.  And speaking of firmware, I would look into re downloading the firmware to make sure that what you have is not corrupt.  Having the correct checksum indicates that the file is good but.....  BTW, what is the start channel that you are setting the SSC to?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Pete

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, »
if you cannot get the SSCv3 or v4 to do blinky before getting the channel assignment (xlights test mode set to do ALL channels), then it sounds like your pixelnet isn't working (anything from computer to dongle, dongle to hub, ...)

He also said that he took out a display item from last year that uses a SSC3 and it was working so that eliminates the issues with the ETD and cables up to the controller.  Just because it can load the test firmware doesn't mean that it can load the running firmware properly.  And speaking of firmware, I would look into re downloading the firmware to make sure that what you have is not corrupt.  Having the correct checksum indicates that the file is good but.....  BTW, what is the start channel that you are setting the SSC to?

Start Channel is 2305, however I have varied that from 1 up and still no difference.  I am going to delete all hex files and uninstall the utility and start from scratch when I get home tonight/morning.
I will post the results.

Thanks Pete

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, »
...and your hub has the pair of jumpers on #1 pixelnet?

its been said that the SSCs needs to be programmed from Universe #1.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Pete

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, »
...and your hub has the pair of jumpers on #1 pixelnet?

its been said that the SSCs needs to be programmed from Universe #1.

Yes - all on universe 1

Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, »
Good Morning to all -  Thank you for your time and help.

This is where I am as of this morning, sorry it is long I want to be thorough:

Setup:        ETD => Hub => SSC => Element  (all tested good)

Computer:  Dell laptop I5 with 8gb memory running Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

I know these are good because I can hookup elements I have previously programed last year and they work.  I used X-Lights and these all work correctly.

I have uninstalled the SSC utility, deleted the directory and cleaned up the registry.  I have deleted all HEX files.  I have also uninstalled the Pickit 3 programmer.

I have done a fresh download and install of the SSC utility and copied the exe file into the proper directory (checked for grouping - its there).  Also a fresh download and install of the Pickit3 programmer (this time ver. 3.10 instead of ver. 1).  I then downloaded a fresh copy of hex files for V2 modded and V4.

With the Pickit programmer I downloaded and installed the OS.

With that all done I again programmed the V3 and V4 SSC's firmware (first erased and blank check) the standard HEX files - successful.

I used the utility to set up my lights . . . I still do not get the lights to flash both V3 and V4 SSCs showing success.

I can load the test firmware to the V3 SSC and it successfully runs the light test.  I can successfully program SSCs that were programmed last year and run them with X-Lights test

I cannot load standard firmware on any of my new V4's.  I cannot load standard firmware on any V3's that have never been used before, however I can load test firmware on the V3's and it works.

I have even shut down my firewall and virus protection and tried . . . still no success.

I am beginning to think it may be my laptop and/or operating system.  I am going to try a different computer using a different operating system.

I will post the results.    Any suggestions? .... I am getting desperate.

Thanks,
Pete

Offline zwiller

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, »
Good morning?!  4pm here.   ;D

I like Steve's idea to check connectivity of the ETD.  Lights blinking etc?  I have to disable wifi AND firewall on my Win7 machine.  What to do see?  Also, have you reflashed TDD firmware?  I would for good measure. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, »
It really sunds to me like the issue is with he new controllers.  As said before, take some quality pictures of both the front and back of one of the controllers that is not working and post them.  There seems to be an issue with the controller inputs since the test software doesn't use the input side of the controller.  One other test would be to recheck the CRC of the controllers that you attempted to set up.  If the CRC has not changed, then the controller is not receiving the data.  Another thing to do is send us a screen shot of the config utility set up to program one of the controllers.  Make sure that the confi utility is using the correct device to send the data to the SSC. 

Offline Pete

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, »
It really sunds to me like the issue is with he new controllers.  As said before, take some quality pictures of both the front and back of one of the controllers that is not working and post them.  There seems to be an issue with the controller inputs since the test software doesn't use the input side of the controller.  One other test would be to recheck the CRC of the controllers that you attempted to set up.  If the CRC has not changed, then the controller is not receiving the data.  Another thing to do is send us a screen shot of the config utility set up to program one of the controllers.  Make sure that the confi utility is using the correct device to send the data to the SSC.

Here are photos of one SSC and screen shot of the utility.   

I am not sure what you mean by CRC.

I did try a different computer - lol - no change.

Thanks for your help,
Pete

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, »
I was having problems programming v2 modded to v3 SSC's before this year's show and I found that although I downloaded the latest version of the config utility, I still needed to download the updated exe here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and copy that over the existing exe.  Then I was able to successfully program.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, by lightsoncallaway »

Offline Pete

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, »
I was having problems programming v2 modded to v3 SSC's before this year's show and I found that although I downloaded the latest version of the config utility, I still needed to download the updated exe here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and copy that over the existing exe.  Then I was able to successfully program.

Thanks - I have done that and still no blinky

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, »
When programming and configuring my devices, I like to do so from a "6' plant."  This allows me to 1) ensure that everything is connected,  2) not have to run around to get things programmed, and Most importantly 3) stay inside where it's warm.  Also, if you have a pixelnet donlge, you may want to try that instead of the etherdongle to eliminate some of the complexity.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, »
You may need to check your data connections on the board.  I can't see what connectors you are using on the data end or how you are connecting them to the hub but input position 1 is data positive.  Black usually indicates a ground and you have that connected to input 1 but since I can't see where that connection is going to, I have no way to know if it a ground or not.  If they are backwards, the unit will not function.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, »
tbone beat me to it...

I like the pixelnet dongle idea if you have one.  How did you go from cat 5 to 4 core (hub to SSC)?  IE are you sure data lines are not swapped?

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, »
That's because I'm just lightning fast, LOL.     ;D

Offline Pete

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, »
Thank you -

No USB dongle

And yes I am indoors with my short programming harness.

I was finishing up my display knowing that the final step using the utility WAS the easiest and quickest step.   How wrong was I.

I am using 2 Zeus 16's and these are a snap with the utility (thought they would be harder and go kicking and screaming).   I used the same ETD to set the Zeus up and the ETD runs my abbreviated show at night so I know the ETD is good.

Pete

Hoping to add the rest of my display items soon just got to figure out why these don't want to play - lol.