Author Topic: Etherdongle Issues please help  (Read 2610 times)

Offline thestig

Etherdongle Issues please help
« on: December 08, 2013, »
So I had my show running a simple animation through xlights while I waited for my conductor to be repaired. I recieved it a few days ago (thanks RJ) and went to install it all back together. It wouldn't connect after flashing the conductor v69 firmware and using the software v3. I decided I needed lights and would just use the sequences I had already sequenced for the conductor next year. This is where something is messed up.

I went to reflash the etherdongle with the regular hex file and received this error. "Program operation of program memory failed" "Addresss 0xFFFFFFFF, read 0xD1B6. Expected 0xB6E."

I have tried to erase and reflash, Restart my computer and even tried flashing while the etherdongle was powered up. Nothing gives. Is this ruined? as of right now I have no light show which is not the most ideal situation. I am going to use my regular USB dongle tonight without smart strings as I am afraid that If I use the usb dongle in pixelnet mode I may somehow corrupt that too.

Any thoughts?

Offline keitha43

Re: Etherdongle Issues please help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, »
Was your adapter plugged in before opening the stand alone v1 program? Maybe try deleting both the MPLAB and stand alone programs and reinstall them and let it reload its updated firmware. Or use tools then download operating system or something like that.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, »
I would try using the V1 of Pickit3.  Here are the notes I took the last time I did this. 

1. Using v3 beta PicKit3, reverted to MIDE mode
2. Launched MIDE and auto downloaded firmware
3. Launched V1 Pickit3
4. Installed OS using JAM file
5. Imported conductor HEX file
6. Write

Does the Etherdongle flash properly if you use the conductor hex file?  Meaning, to fails for both hex files? 

Offline thestig

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, »
It fails with the conductor hex as well. The wife is using my computer for work at the moment. I did make sure I had version 1 of the pick it program. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it just to make sure.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, »
You may need to load MPLab and use it to reset and reload the Pickit-3 firmware.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, »
Also make sure you have the etd powered up when you are flashing it. sometimes it will not work without external power to it and this is the error you receive when that is the case.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline thestig

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, »
I tried to program it through MPLAB and I am getting the same message. I am not exactly sure I know what I am doing with that program though. I am calling it for this season. all of my RGB is off and I will be hopefully having someone take a look at this etherdongle and ordering a new one for this next Christmas. I also followed the steps about converting it into the MPIDE and then trying to program it failed as well. I have tried with it plugged in to its power supply, unplugged, even tried a different computer and all give me the same results. I must have messed the chip up somehow.

anyways thanks for the help.

Grant

Offline bakerlights

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, »
It might be time to look at the DLA PIC programmers list and see if there are any in your area that might be able to help get the Etherdongle programmed for you.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Steve.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, »
Grant I wish you were closer to me. I did not test the ETD as I thought you had said it worked ok. I just solder up the lose pins on the conductor card for you. I did not have anything setup to even test it with but with it working before I assumed it was OK. Sorry you are having issues. Are you sure something did not get flexed in shipping. the progamming part takes little to work so even with most things messed up it normally will program.

RJ

Offline thestig

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, »
RJ I just shipped you the conductor. I didn't send the etherdongle with it as it was working properly. Somehow while flashing the conductor hex file I messed up the etherdongle. This is just a learning experience for me. I should have never tried to add another piece of hardware into my show this late in the season. the etherdongle worked properly before flashing the v69 hex for conductor. Once I couldn't get that to work I tried to reflash the v2 pixelnet hex and the error began showing up.

I appreciate you fixing the conductor board for me. I am just hopeful that the etherdongle is not fried or the chip is not ruined.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, »
Grant,
I have an etherdongle kit from the last coop that I would let you use. You would have to assemble it.
Let me know and I can bring it to work and you can pick it up or I can put it in the mail to you.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline thestig

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, »
Thanks for the offer John, I however am not messing with the show anymore this year. I spent another 3 hours today trying to get the chip reprogrammed and somehow messed up my pickit3. It will now not connect to anything and shows an error in both the standalone app and MPLAB. I even tried it on my other computer and it still won't connect. This is not my year lol. Part of me is wondering if the pickit3 programmer has been the issue all along? All i know is I need to order a new one of those as well. AHHHH

Grant

UPDATE- fixed the PICKIT3 programmer. I had to revert it back to MPLAB and then open it in MPBLAB and reinstall the Pickit3 firmware from there. At least I figured one thing out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, by thestig »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, »
LOL, that's what I suggested.  The real issue here is that the Pickit-3 is NOT a chip programmer like the Pickit-2, it is an entry level debugger that can be loaded with programmer firmware.  They appear to still be workking out the bugs on the programmer side and perhaps it will never be as rock slid as the Pickit-2 was but the more features that you add, the mre that can go wrong.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline thestig

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, »
Yeah I saw you suggested that earlier and my brain was fried today. Had to take a few steps back and figure that one out again. I still can not program my etherdongle. I was trying to figure out how to wipe the chip an completely reflash it but that must be over my head. I have spent way too much time looking into this stuff. Thank  you to everyone for the help. RJ would you mind taking a look at it after the holiday season?

Grant

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, »
Sure

RJ