Author Topic: No SSC blinky flashy but others blinky flashy  (Read 1228 times)

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
No SSC blinky flashy but others blinky flashy
« on: December 08, 2013, »
Here's my setup for testing:

Computer----router----Etherdongle (EtD)----Smart String Active Hub (SSAH)----Lynx Express (LE)
                                                                                         |----Smart String Controller (SSC)

I have a modded V2 ssc controller. I'm using the Smart+String+Controller+modded.hex and the Lynx Smart String Utility (LSSU).

The LE works, so I suspect that means that everything up to the SSAH works. I've tried different SSAH and they allow the LE to continue to work. When I use the LSSU, the lights on the LE light up, but nothing on the SSC. I'm using flexible ribbon. So based on my reading, that means everything is transmitting and all is good, but the SSC lights won't light up.

I've restarted my computer, I've reflashed everything and I'm 100% certain that I'm using the right hex flash for the EtD, SSAH and SSC. I'm also certain I've modded the SSC correctly. I've checked all the above easily 10 times.

So what's the rub?

Can I put 12v to the string and get it to work to test the string?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: No SSC blinky flashy but others blinky flashy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, »
Are you using the waterproof connectors between the hub and ssc or ssc to lights?
Does the hub have blown fuse(s)? (hub powers up the ssc)
Are the lights connected to the correct side? There is a input and output side to the nodes.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, »
Are you saying you modded it to v3? As the firmware and utility are for v3.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, »
I think that you need to be a little more clear on your descriptions.  All the letters just make it more confusing.  Saying hub is more understandable than SSAH and it too me a few reads to find LSSU.  What exactly are you using a ribbon cable for?  What do you mean when you say that you put 12V to the string and get it to work?  I take it that you have the LE plugged into the hubs DMX ouput and if so, then the ETD and the hub both have the correct firmware.  Did you check to make sure that the hub is putting out 12V to the SSC?  Perhaps a pic of the modded SSC would help for someone to confirm your mod.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, »
Good ideas thus far.  I like to load the test firmware.   If the lights don't turn on check the basics, wiring, blown hub fuse.  If you have blown a fuse triple check the ssc..  If you get lights on then great, then reflash back and make sure you are programming correctly, applying jumper and selecting etherdongle from the utility. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, »
I didn't have from the correct end of the string. For future people behind me, make sure you find the end with the arrows pointing into the string and that is the side you solder. That should have never happened, but that info wasn't in the instructions.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, by gatorengineer »