Author Topic: Adding a DMX channel  (Read 1571 times)

Offline mitch09

Adding a DMX channel
« on: December 08, 2013, »
I have mixed RGB and DMX elements. I have tried out a new song that I only use my RGB elements and Nutcracker has worked flawlessly. But, I have my tune in sign on a Lynx express that needs to be on during the song. I have tried setting up a model for the sign and assigning just one channel(the number the LE is programmed for) and applying a colorwash, but it still doesn't turn on during the song. Is there a way to turn my sign on?

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
Re: Adding a DMX channel
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, »
Nutcracker does not directly control DMX elements. You'll need to use Vixen or LOR to control the sign. You can then import the .vix file if Vixen into Xlights. Sean has done a mini-tutorial You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that explains how to do that.

Paulin.
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC
  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline travailen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, »
What is your system hardware setup? Are you using an EtherDonge and DLA hubs?

Rick S

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, »
I figured that I would have to use LSP. I was just hoping for a workaround in xlights/nutcracker. Since all of the sequencing was done in nutcracker to begin with.

My setup is ETD->Active Hub(s)-> Passive Hub(s) & Lynx Express

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, »
When using nutcracker just set. An element for 512 channels. If you are using the first 512.  Then in nutcrackers build an element and call,it Vixen and cover channels 1through 512.  Sean and I use a square to accomplish this with a vertical or horizontal matrix as the element.  Then build all the RGB stuff for the song in Nut cracker and save then export to vixen. Once that is done go into Vixen and right click on the channel the tune to sign is assigned and select the setting to turn channel on though the whole song and save.  I hope that is not too confusing.  I am constantly doing this for each of my old sequences in DMX.  Remember to protect the element and all timing marks for the vixen element as none, none.  If you don't I will erase your current file in Vixen.

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, »
I have mixed RGB and DMX elements. I have tried out a new song that I only use my RGB elements and Nutcracker has worked flawlessly. But, I have my tune in sign on a Lynx express that needs to be on during the song. I have tried setting up a model for the sign and assigning just one channel(the number the LE is programmed for) and applying a colorwash, but it still doesn't turn on during the song. Is there a way to turn my sign on?

Maybe try creating the model as a single RGB element using 3 channels with the first channel being for your sign and then use a red colorwash so that it will turn on the first channel and leave the other two off.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, »
+1 for the Captains suggestion.  You could also call it a strobes channel
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bakerlights

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, »
I used xlight/nutcracker to sequence all of my song and model both RGB and DMX lights for my shows.  For the DMX elements I created a model with the start channel for whichever DMX channel on the Lynx Express that I have, in the model I used type of string as any of the Single Color (Red,Blue,Green or White) I used each to differentiate elements in the preview tab, then at the timing marks I would use a ColorWash effect to turn the element on (White) or off (Black).

Here is a xml file for what I used to just turn on my static DMX items in between shows, just remove the .doc extension from the file to import into xlights.  This only show them turning them on, for me changing the color on the color wash to black turns them off.   I also create preset effects for On/Off in the Effect Preset so I can recall these when needed.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Offline travailen

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, »
+1 That is what I do too. Works great.

Rick S

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, »
I used xlight/nutcracker to sequence all of my song and model both RGB and DMX lights for my shows.  For the DMX elements I created a model with the start channel for whichever DMX channel on the Lynx Express that I have, in the model I used type of string as any of the Single Color (Red,Blue,Green or White) I used each to differentiate elements in the preview tab, then at the timing marks I would use a ColorWash effect to turn the element on (White) or off (Black).

Here is a xml file for what I used to just turn on my static DMX items in between shows, just remove the .doc extension from the file to import into xlights.  This only show them turning them on, for me changing the color on the color wash to black turns them off.   I also create preset effects for On/Off in the Effect Preset so I can recall these when needed.

Hope this helps.
Steve

This helps a lot Steve.  This is what I was kind of asking about in another thread.  Thank you for this.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, »

Hope this helps.
Steve

Worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Ryan