Author Topic: Zeus experiences shared  (Read 3229 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Zeus experiences shared
« on: December 09, 2013, »
Well I finally got all (4) Zeus boards connected this weekend ... (3) on a 23 string RGB half megatree and (1) on a 8 string RGB matrix.

I noticed right away that I have certain lights which were "flickering" and also would randomly blink when OFF.  They would also blink and produce random artifacts while xlights/nutcracker was sending data as well.  So long story short, it didn't look good ... lots of noise.

So I noticed that it appeared that only the first 9 strings connected to Zeus#1 were having this problem and only on half megatree it was attached to.

I had the Zeus boards connected as follows:
                        Half Megatree==========       Matrix=====
etherdongle --> Zeus1 ---> Zeus2 ---> Zeus3 ---> Matrix Zeus4

So as I said, all the problems seemed to be coming from Zeus1 connected channels.

Eventually I pulled that board and reprogrammed all channels and also change cat5 cords -- made no difference.

So finally after much trial and error to no avail, I ran my incoming pixelnet into Zeus#2 instead ... then the #3 ... then to #1.  At turned out that none of them were terminated.  Suddenly they worked perfectly.
ED -> Z#2 -> Z#2 -> Z#1 (not terminated)

So I terminated Z#1 and it made the Z#1 channels appear awful again.  So I removed the termination and again all was well.

So then I thought maybe Z#1 output was bad, so I ran Z#2 -> Z#3 -> Z#4 (matrix) -> Z#1 ... and then Z#4 (the matrix) got the crazy light flickering problems instead!  So I realized it was still terminated so I remove it ... but still no good.  So I then terminated at Z#4 and still no good ... in face Z#4 and Z#1 were both bad now!!

So I went back to my known good arrangment of Z2 -> Z3 -> Z1 and no termination anywhere and life was good again.   In fact, running the matrix on its own was also good (on Z#4) ... but termination seemed to make bad again.  So again, I'm wondering when termination should ever be used, since it seems to only hurt me.  Again, doing this all at about zero degrees F.

So now I realize I need to split my PN signal somewhere before I send one line to Z2,Z3 and Z1 and another line to Z4 (matrix).  I had been using a PN splitter but the power cord detached and it seemed to not work anymore.  Not sure what happened since its not fused, but when I put the cord back on ... it seems dead and I'm not sure how to test it other than it doesn't seem to work on anything but the passthru port.

So now thinking I'll use my space SS Active Hub as PN splitter since I can't find any way to make Z4 (matrix) interconnect with my Z1-Z3 (half megatree) without getting the artifacts/noise problem again.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my story because I was literally going nuts for hours and hours trying to figure out of I had bad nodes, a bad zeus, a bad cord ... or what.  As it turns out, switching the order of interconnected and breaking the rules of termination ... worked, but it all seemed very illogical to me!

In fact while doing all this -- I recalled the scene in Christmas Vacation where Chevy Chase is out going crazy in his yard ... and really thinking that I was WORSE !!!  LOL !!!

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Zeus experiences shared
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, »
All of the sudden I had an arch stop working.  So, I reflashed the controller again, even tested it with an extra set of nodes I had.  Worked perfectly.  I connected it back to the arch and NOTHING.  Turns out with all the tucking/untucking of controllers and what not, I found out 2 or the 3 solder connections from the connector to the strip broke off.  A quick fix with the soldering iron and it was fixed, right?  NO.  Lucky for me it was the +12 and the ground, they obviously crossed, and it blew a fuse on the active hub.  So I changed the port the arch was plugged into on the active hub and it worked great... until...

2 nights later the same arch was REALLY glitch-y.  Not doing fades correctly, sometimes the wrong color all together.  I checked the solder connections from the controller to the arch.  Nothing.  My dad took the strip home and found an IC that was "loose".  All he did to fix it was "press firmly" on the IC.  Now the arch works fine.  :o

Granted my arch troubles are nowhere near what you described, but I certainly can appreciate the level of frustration you experienced.  I'm glad it's working for you now and I can't wait to come by on our annual tour!

I think of the part where Clark gets so frustrated he punches the blow mold Santa in the face.  LOL.  I laugh hysterically every time I see that part.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, »
Wow, sounds awful ... but we could all collectively write a book on our stories I'm sure!!

The weather only adds insult to injury ... like how those weatherproof connectors turn to rock candy in the cold and don't go on/off anymore.  I took out my heat gun and a little warming up made them piable and easy to put on/off and get me done quicker ... lol.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, »
What about this...?

SWMBO has no advice for songs.  All year I ask, and there is no advice.

So, I create two songs to get things going... 

1st is "What does the Grinch say?"  It uses my matrices very nicely, having Clifford the dog saying "Woof"...  Garfield the cat saying "Meow"... and a host of cameo appearances before the dastardly Grinch makes his appearance.  I liked it a lot. 

Its out of rotation.

2nd is "Harlem Shake" using a small set of white minitrees to get the thing started -- and then BLAM, the random effects from Nutcracker cut loose on the panels, the megapixel trees, the arches, the stars, the coroflakes...  its short and sweet.

Its out of rotation.

I need to find some boring Perry Como, traditional Christmas music to make sure I don't offend any of my traditional neighbors.

;)

...looking forward to seeing folks share some TRADITIONAL nutcracker sequences.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, »
Wow, sounds awful ... but we could all collectively write a book on our stories I'm sure!!

The weather only adds insult to injury ... like how those weatherproof connectors turn to rock candy in the cold and don't go on/off anymore.  I took out my heat gun and a little warming up made them piable and easy to put on/off and get me done quicker ... lol.

I'm so glad all my shenanigans happened before the snow and record below zero temps!  Although, I have 2 "presents" that still need wrapped, it doesn't take away from the show not having them done.  PK's sequences are taking precedent right now.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, »
LOL, well Steve, I have to say that I agree with your wife.  What exactly does either of these songs have to do with Christmas? 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, »
I love the creativity of those song choices!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, »
Could you have an incorrect terminare resistor size?

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, »
Thanks RJ

Its supposed to be a 100 ohm resistor (per the PCB)  -- I could go out and test it to make sure its correct.

Offline arw01

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, »
What about this...?
I need to find some boring Perry Como, traditional Christmas music to make sure I don't offend any of my traditional neighbors.

;)

...looking forward to seeing folks share some TRADITIONAL nutcracker sequences.

well, not exactly a "CHRISTMAS" light show at my house either.  I am looking forward to the aether II along light show though!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, »
It does seem to be a low signal issue.  Perhaps one of the RJ45's is dirty or has a bad connection to the board. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving